Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Roof sealant question

I'll be replacing my rooftop solar panels soon-ish. What is the best sealant to permanently plug the old mounting screw holes? Butyl will remain tacky, yes? Should I used something like Dicor 501LSW-1 Lap Sealant instead?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

I would be helpful to know if your roof is metal or fiberglass.

Mine is fiberglass. In 2005 I used E6800 to seal the holes around the stainless steel machine screws in my roof which hold the Thule rails and and they have not leaked. I used the same product at the same time to glue down the actual rail to the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/UV6800-260011...gateway&sr=8-9

You could also use some of the "bondo" products made by Evercoat.

There is an excellent West Marine product called Marine RX which I would not hesitate to use.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...4-oz--13967450

If your roof is sheet metal, if it were me, I would probably pop down the headliner and gently weld the holes closed. But welding sheet metal requires a level of proficiency which I only kind of have, so it would requires practice on a piece of scrap the same thickness to make sure that I didn't just blow the holes bigger.

The leading edge of my top where it meets the metal van roof leaks. Sportsmobile was going to fix it under warranty but I live in CA and had it installed in TX and although I likely could have had it repaired in Fresno, the three hour drive and the complications were such that I never got it done. I will likely use some left over butyl "rope" which I used to replace a broken side window on the van to seal the leading edge by unbolting the front of the roof, raising it, and dropping the roof down into a "bed" of that butyl. Butyl is uncured rubber, so it never hardens. You asked about it.
Personally, I would not use it to seal holes in the roof.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
I would be helpful to know if your roof is metal or fiberglass.

Mine is fiberglass. In 2005 I used E6800 to seal the holes around the stainless steel machine screws in my roof which hold the Thule rails and and they have not leaked. I used the same product at the same time to glue down the actual rail to the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/UV6800-260011...gateway&sr=8-9

You could also use some of the "bondo" products made by Evercoat.

There is an excellent West Marine product called Marine RX which I would not hesitate to use.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...4-oz--13967450

If your roof is sheet metal, if it were me, I would probably pop down the headliner and gently weld the holes closed. But welding sheet metal requires a level of proficiency which I only kind of have, so it would requires practice on a piece of scrap the same thickness to make sure that I didn't just blow the holes bigger.

The leading edge of my top where it meets the metal van roof leaks. Sportsmobile was going to fix it under warranty but I live in CA and had it installed in TX and although I likely could have had it repaired in Fresno, the three hour drive and the complications were such that I never got it done. I will likely use some left over butyl "rope" which I used to replace a broken side window on the van to seal the leading edge by unbolting the front of the roof, raising it, and dropping the roof down into a "bed" of that butyl. Butyl is uncured rubber, so it never hardens. You asked about it.
Personally, I would not use it to seal holes in the roof.
Fiberglass roof. That E6800 sounds like good stuff, thanks.
UnaccomplishedAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

Hmmm... If I wanted to permanently positively seal those holes, I would use the West Marine "Marine Rx" epoxy putty. It will dry white. I would get to the underside and fair/feather a little around the hole from the inside too.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Order some PARR. It is a sealant that comes in a tube. It can be used on metal or fiberglass. I use it on my van and 1976 Airstream to seal seams and laps. If you are filling a hole, run a bolt through it with PARR generously applied to the surfaces. It takes several hours to dry but is fully cured in a week. Once cured it is bonded to the surfaces and is difficult to remove. Some of my patches are 12 years old and show no sign of breaking down.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Hmmm... If I wanted to permanently positively seal those holes, I would use the West Marine "Marine Rx" epoxy putty. It will dry white. I would get to the underside and fair/feather a little around the hole from the inside too.
Thanks for this, I recently found that one of cracks had been caused by to long of a screw attaching the canvas, had popped a chip out and created a small hole. While small the amount of water that came through was amazing. I used the Marine TX epoxy and all things are good.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #8

You could also use Marine-Tex (same thing referenced above?)....Works quite well, is white, feathers nicely, and less expensive in small quantities...Available a lot of places...2oz is plenty for holes...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

If the roof is fiberglass, why not just use fiberglass? Cheap and effective.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If the roof is fiberglass, why not just use fiberglass? Cheap and effective.

Certainly could; filling holes one would use chop strand, maybe white tint, and resin,,,with some sanding...Personally, I don't like sanding fiberglass. If there were cracks/fractures, different story. On the other hand, if you have the materials....Maybe one could use a non glass filler/thickener material with the resin to get away from the glass?
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote