Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Rookie with a fuel leak.

OK, so I bit the bullet and filled up my 96 RB SMB for the first time. I smelled gasoline, but I figured it was from the service station. I parked in my driveway (It has a slight elevation.) and gas was dripping heavily out of the top, back of the fuel tank. I hosed it down and set it on level ground and it stopped leaking. Has anyone had any similar problems like this? The hose from the filler port to the tank looks fine, although I can't see where it hooks up to the tank. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

crustyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Rookie with a fuel leak.

I dont know if this will help, But. on my last Van (1981ford) if I filled the tank to the top meaning all the way up the fill pipe it would drain out like there was a overflow outlet. I never found that outlet. and I never filled it that high again and never had that problem. I looked the best I could at all the lines and nothing was cracked or rotted. I drove the Van over a year after that and never smelled Gas again. Like I said i cant help ou fix it I can only relate.

good luck

Ron
Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

The O-ring on the fuel pump is probably bad. But you should check the fill and vent hoses for cracking first.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

My van does the same (but diesel). If I fill up then park on my angled driveway, I get diesel dripping out of the lower end.

I have the transfer flow 46 gal tank. There are two roll over vent valves that apparently can leak. I can reach them with the tank in place, but haven't had the nerve to try to twist them out blind to see if I can fit a new o-ring. The guys at transfer flow said to drop the tank to do it. The roll over vent valves are from the stock tank and re-used on the transfer flow tank.

Below is the email I received from Transfer Flow when I emailed them about this.

Phil

------------------

Hi Phil,

I attached a copy of the installation instructions. There are two roll over vent valves on top of the tank. The valves came from the OEM tank. The rollover valves have a dust cap on the end. To install the roll over valves they are inserted and turned 90 degrees clockwise one quarter turn to lock them in. The vent or cap will point towards the driver frame rail. If it isn’t rotated completely that could cause a leak. The roll over valve has a o-ring that seats into the cam ring on the tank. The valve itself may be leaking or it may be leaking around the o-ring. One way to cure this leak is to (Drop the tank) so you can get a hammer and a punch, bend down the notches downward on the cam ring. This will secure the roll over valve much tighter . in the cam ring. Look at the drawing below.

???
To seat the rollover valves tighter to the cam ring if that is what’s causing the leak. Bend the tabs downward a little.
The best way to confirm what is leaking is to pressurize the tank a little and spray a soapy water solution to the valves.

Brad Fridrich
Technical Support
Transfer Flow Inc.
800-442-0056 x-34
brad@transferflow.com <mailto:brad@transferflow.com>
Attached Thumbnails
image003.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INST580-D.pdf (243.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf INST580-W.pdf (108.4 KB, 14 views)

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #5

Phil is right about the leak. You can drop your tank low enough to change the gaskets without taking the tank all the way out. It's like putting on a radiater cap. It is easier to do with the tank out, plus you can clean up the mess and look for anu other prpblems.
Brent
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the insight, everyone! I parked it level in the street last night and no drips. I can still smell the fuel, though. So my next question is: How much of a pain will it be to drop the tank? It doesn't look like that big of a deal. (Famous last words...) Although the lazy devil on my shoulder says not to mess with it and not fill up that much again, the little angel on the other shoulder tells me I'll be glad that I fixed it.

I had no idea about the roll-over valves. Thanks Phil.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #7

It's no big deal to drop the tank. It is heavy. I would fix it (if fuel can get out water can get in).
Brent
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #8

No problem CrustyFish (hope that's not your real name!). I had no idea until I emailed Transfer Flow.

This thread now has me thinking I should push this repair higher up on the list of todo's.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #9

I agree, Brent. I will likely just drive it until it's running on fumes and drop the tank before my next fill. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rene (aka crustyfish)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #10

No problem, let me know when you drop it if you need any how to on the fittings & lines.
Brent