Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1

Rust on a New Van

We have a new 2007 RB 4x4 diesel SMB that we purchased on October 19, 2007. It now has about 4,000 miles. It has never been driven in the coastal sand/ocean or through any standing water. However, we do live in San Diego and it is stored in our driveway, about 1/2 mile from the ocean.

There is a lot of surface rust on the underbody of the van, especially on some of the bolts and brake coverings. I've attached some pictures below. This is consistent on all four wheel areas.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it "normal" and is it something I should be concerned about? Thanks for the help/advice.

Driver side, rear

Passenger side, front

Passenger side, front

Driver side, rear

Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Garage
That does not look unusual. And, I'm sure it is accelerated by your proximity to the sea. If you can most of it off, I'd then coat it with LPS-3 or a similar thick preventative.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

rust

i have a '03, and live 2 blks to the beach.

mine looks the same.

i don't sweat it.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Very normal areas for rust. Those areas can be painted if you want to reduce the driveway stains

You can also spray them with Eureka Fluid Film or do what a lot of Canadian's do, they use http://www.krown.com/ . Its cheap, but needs annual reapplication. Since you have great SD weather, a can of Fluid Flim should do

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks all for putting my mind at ease.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #6

Our Van was finished and delivered to us on December 20th and and one of the item's that I pointed out at the time of our PDI was the exact same rust that you have shown in your photograph's .I have since painted all area's shown as I spend a lot of time at our local Surf Break's . i am on my fifth 4X4 Van and have had this rust with all of my new Vehicles .I touch up spray two to three times each year ! only take's about half an hour . If you decide to paint your Brake's be sure to use special paint for this like Dupli Color's Caliper paint as it is designed to withstand the heat .
Good Luck
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #7

Garage
are you just using basic black spray paint like Rustoleum or something??
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

I normally use the Flat Black or Semi Gloss Krylon by the Borden company as you do not have the extended drying time and heavy build up the you get with the Rustoleum , I have a scheduled torque maintenance that the heavier paint's make more difficult . In reality I paint because I am Anal !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote