Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Saggy ass

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Up in AK. Got Burt fully loaded surfboards, mtnbikes, snowboard gear etc. Traveling solo. Just got new rear springs in September from chris/atlas after the intial ones on the conversion were way wrong was sagging even empty.Have about 4k miles on these new ones. Does this sag look right/normal? Just basic road trip/camping gear.
Attached Thumbnails
20180527_161549.jpg  

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Garage
Not really but did you weigh your van and tell Chris when you ordered them?

Either way, easiest solution would be to throw some small blocks under the rear axle.

Edit - I say easiest because it's something you could do asap to get your rear higher. If I were you id get on the Expo forum ujoint thread and post this photo with the same question. I guarantee you'll get a quick response.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

Garage
You had a post in late 2017 showing the van just after you had the new springs installed - looks very different than what you have now. Cant believe the springs would give up that quickly.
To Jsweezy's point, looks more like you've added weight that wasnt considered from the onset.
Another option (although more costly) would be to add air bags in the rear. I use mine when I load up for longer trips just to offset the added weight. They also double as a rear sway bar when i'm traveling windy roads - works pretty good.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #4

Yep got the van weighed told Chris the weights and that would be adding some interior which I did. And it's very minimal interior if that. Kinda like a transfomer set up. I' its not like im hauling heavy equipment. It's like it was before I got the new springs. Just shouldnt be like this again. Anyone ever add Timbrens? I did on a my Tundra with a popup camper and worked well.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

I wouldn't put Timbrens on, they cause too much rebound.

Sumo Springs work on the same principle, but use a foam filled spring, so its self-damping. So it simply rides better.

That said... They're really intended to be overloads for when you're hauling heavy. Using them to restore lost ride height isn't their intended purpose. Adding appropriate springs is really the best solution for full-time weight. You can probably get things dialed in just be adding a leaf.

BTW - Same for airbags. They're good for when you're loaded heavy, but aren't really the best solution for adding empty ride-height.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

I'd have a spring shop add another full length leaf or two. Easy and cheap and won't cause a harsh ride. Keep in mind, adding blocks creates more axle wrap under load.
That's what I did.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, I had Deavers made for me years ago and just recently added a 1” block to pick it up a bit after they settled a bit, otherwise I’d be looking at having to send them in and be down for a bit to have the height changed.
Have you tried unloading all the extra camping gear and see what the ass end does?
I agree the easiest solution would be to add some blocks under those springs, looks to be about 2”
Long term, you might want to talk to Chris/Atlas and see what they are willing to do for you. Might be a hard case to make since your weight and interior buildout changed after they made them.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Just how much weight was added?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

The thing this is is the 2nd set of springs in less than a year. Chris sent the new ones I have for free and paid for the labor which was really cool. They were done in Nov. And the van sat in storage til May 1st. Adding 2 mtn bikes a bike carrier. Some snow/surf boards gear ,food, 10 gallons of water and other essentials should not be causing such sagging I wouldn't think. It wasn't sagging after the interior was done in feb. It doesnt always seem to look that bad. Right now it looks fine. Tomorrow when all these campers around me leave I'll post a another pix. It's been riding fine as well and I'm not sure how muxh weight has been added.I'll see if I can find a spring shop in Anchorage. Or one in the lower 48 in a couple weeks. I will be in Van expo so hood as well. Maybe he would give everything a look over since it's I guess his coil design? I would like to get it right on the leafs than go the airbag route. Thanks for everybody's input or if anyone else has any?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #10

How about weight distribution?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote