Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
screen for back doors?

Anyone ever find a bug screen for the ford so you could keep the back doors open? One of my friends bought a roadtrek dodge sprinter and he had a little screen that would fit around the back exit to provide airflow but prevent bugs.

Joe

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

SMB sells a velcro in door for the rear as well as the side.

I just bought some 12'x12' army mosquito netting to build my own as I don't like they way the SMB screen for the side door works, however I think it would be fine in the rear (as we don't enter/exit from the rear)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Where/how would the screen (netting) connect to the van exactly?

This sounds like the perfect DIY project.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #4

In the side door SMB provides screen there is velcro on the door jamb on each side and across the top. It's not a good solution for many reasons: the velcro comes off, it ruins your rubber seals (so I've heard), the bottom isn't sealed, it's a total PITA to get in and out.

DIY you can go with anything from maganets to clipped poles in the channel. I'm hoping for some inspiring solution to come along with my netting.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
I agree that SMB's "solution" is flawed in a few ways... you'd have to have velcro around the entire perimiter or else bugs could crawl under the net...

I don't have my own SMB to verify my ideas against, but could you make some sort of spring-loaded wooden frame that rests inside the door "wells"? This could provide pressure up against the van for a "seal" and provide the frame to connect the screen to. The frame would also have to be collapsible for easy storage....

Another idea would be to provide your own small frame (attached to the van, perhaps just inside the line of the closed doors) onto which you could "spring" your own screen onto, via a full-size screen/net edged with elastic.... think of it like a larger-scale hair net, snapping onto a wooden picture frame. You'd just need enough of a "lip" on the frame to let the elastic grab onto it easily.

Or a combination of both ideas: Create a simple wooden frame that could be "snapped" in place inside the door "wells" of the rear doors, and then snap your giant elastic hair net over/onto the frame....

Or make your screen one solid piece, attach it to the ceiling somehow, THEN use 3 wooden members to "stretch" and secure the other edges to the van...

Just brainstorming here....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Sam

Joe:

Here is the company that Roadtrek uses for their screens. Check out their site. They list several dealers throughout the US & Canada. They do list prices & screens for Fords.

Sam

Bug Barrier
Medina, OH
800-548-0214
www.bugbarrierscreen.com
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote