Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
brp

Seeking Advice, Too Much Sway, Quigley E350

I just got back from a long trip, Minnesota to British Columbia and back. In the short time I've had my van setup it has driven really well, but in the fast highway speeds and fierce winds of North Dakota and eastern Montana, I've realized my van needs some help. Around 70mph when in crosswinds or bends in the road, it feels really unstable.

I've got a "bus" on a 2004, SRW, FF, 4.10, 5.4 V8, stock wheels, BFG AT KO2 295/75/16, Quigley 4x4, E350 chassis. I have a partial Agile RIP, in that my rear springs were not compatible with their add-a-leaf. Agile suspected I have ambulance springs, but that was just a guess. I do have their shocks (4), steering stabilizer, front sway bar bushings and spacer, and front coils.

My rear springs sit basically flat, and actually angle slightly down at the front shackles.

My bus does sit slightly low in the rear.

I've done some research and am looking for experienced advice about the right
combination of new rear springs (with no lift blocks), a rear sway bar, and rear wheel spacers. My main goal is to really control the sway, I am willing to give up some articulation, etc.

I drove almost 900 miles on Saturday, hands at 10 and 2 o'clock the whole way, and white knuckles. It was not fun.

I do think my ball joints and steering are tight. I will be jacking the front up this weekend to feel for play in the ball joints.

Thanks, as always, for any insights.

brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Try Roadmaster, like in the E-450 sway bars. They have one for "emergency" vehicles. I have one, although I dunno model, like 1 3/8" or so. Makes a big difference, although it stinks offroad. But safety onroad trumps that IMHO.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

I'm not a fan of rear sway bars (I've added them to several rigs, but not my high-roof E350), and would lean toward a larger diameter front bar.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
brp

I don't know if a larger front bar is available for a Quigley, anybody? Thanks for the tip about Roadmaster, I had only looked at Hellwig.

I do intend to order a set of new rear springs from Ujoint. I will see to what extent that helps and then possibly get a rear sway bar as well.

Is there a drawback to sway bars off-road besides reduced articulation? My van is big enough that I don't see articulation really coming into play that much...I'm too big to get into that kind situation for the most part.

Also, living in Minnesota, the time I would save being able to drive 10mph more on the interstate would surely make up the time I may spend disconnecting a rear sway bar once I hit a trail in western SD or central CO.

Thanks for the input guys.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Seeking Advice, Too Much Sway, Quigley E350

Have I already posted this info here? Anyway, too many sway bar threads to keep track of, but since you seem to still be trying to find a solution, here’s what I did.
I’d opt for a larger front sway bar, was there not a Hellwig option that would fit? I’d also avoid a rear sway bar and have Deaver springs make you new rear leafs or find a local spring shop. Proper rear leafs will take care of all the rear sway. I had Boulder Off Road fabricate a mounting bracket for a larger front sway bar, Hellwig I think, with end links that have since been converted over to disconnects-see pics in my album? This helped a ton, virtually eliminated my bump steer and got the original sway bar ends out of the where the bushings always wallow out.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
with end links that have since been converted over to disconnects-see pics in my album?
I didn't see any pics of the disconnects in your album--any chance you could post one? I'd be curious to see what this looks like on a Quigley.
Kibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
tlg

Garage
brp,
Second REF's recommendation on the springs. Our 2014 E350 Quigley initially had a Helwig rear sway bar. It did its job but there was obvious room for improvement. Added the same Agile RIP you described above with Agile's leaf springs. This allowed us to remove the rear sway bar. The rig drove better (and was safer). The springs might be the easiest solution to your dilemma.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Seeking advice, too much sway

Correct tire size and pressure is important. The stock Ford wheel for a 2004 e350 should be 7X16 and fitted with a 225 75 16 load range E tire.. I am working hard to reduce the wander caused by wind and passing trucks. So far tires have helped the most. I have a 96 e350 7.3 , 2 wheel drive, 14" roof, EB, I have done all polyurethane bushings, E450 steering damper, 1" Helwig rear swaybar, new steering gear, all balljoints and tie rod ends, KYB Gas Adjust shocks for the cutaway/motorhome, MOOG CC880S Problem Solver front coils and Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 at 80 PSI rear. I am hoping to find a panhard rod that can be easily modified to fit. Any ideas on the panhard would be helpful.
campingunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
How's your alignment looking? My past experience with vans with twin I-beam front ends is that they're very sensitive to toe. Neutral or toe-out and they wander, toe-in and they track straight. Unfortunately this basically gives you a choice between having it wander, or having the outer edges of your front tires wear quickly.

Toe is pretty easy to set at home, although measuring it accurately is annoying.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote