Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #111

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Yeah, if I had a newish or more valuable van I'd strongly consider the agreed value approach they use for customs and classics. If your insurer has done some sort of inspection and you've got records that they insured it as an RV with all the mods, etc. then you're probably good. And going through an agent or some live body who you explained the situation to helps as well.

Any vague assurances that some exclusion, like modified suspension, doesn't apply to you should be in writing. At least in a chat transcript. Upon filing a claim they're just gonna look up "2011 Ford E350 van" in a bluebook, or "Sportsmobile" in the RV blue book. Go look now: is the value they list the same as its worth? If not, you're probably with the wrong company. I think you may be good with Good Sam if they specifically list it as a Sportsmobile (eg Safeco lists mine as 2001 Mhom Sportsmobile; CSAA has it as Ford van 2001) you're in better shape, but when you insured it you agreed it didn't have a modified suspension. So if you can get them to agree in writing that your SMB 4x4 is covered, fine; if they won't, bail. That exclusion doesn't just mean the 4x4 value isn't covered, it means they can deny coverage for other stuff as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #112
Site Team

I agree with all the postings, but caution anyone who thinks they're getting a great deal on insurance, by paying premiums based on a stock van, and then expect to be compensated for a full conversion van at a later date. I don't think anyone would expect that, but you never know.

Herb
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #113

I just called Justin Gennock and he's not licensed in Nevada.

He recommended looking for NV-licensed agents for Safeco, Geico and/or Progressive. Said he's been writing Safeco policies for SMBs. And that Geico wants you to move all your vehicles to them.

Seems like a good guy. Anybody that's California-based might consider giving him a call.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #114

I'm working on insuring the 4x4 SMB we just purchased. Here's my latest experience:
We're in WA state and have auto, motorcycle, and renters policies with Progressive Direct.
I spent about an hour on the phone this afternoon with an agent trying to come up with a policy for our van. For reference, the van is a 2006 E350 diesel, RB50, no propane system, no stove, but it does have a freshwater system, an inverter, and porta-potty.

They wouldn't offer me an auto policy because it had "one or more of the following items permanently installed: fresh water sink with greywater tank, cooking appliance, bathroom device, sleeping accommodations, or 110V power system." They said it should have an RV policy.
So the RV agent looked through his guidelines. I made sure he knew it was a 4x4 and I intended to take it offroad. That was all good. They wouldn't do an agreed value policy, but he said the "actual cash value" would be assessed against "similar vehicles recently sold in the area". Most SMBs around here have been selling for about what I paid for mine so I'm cool with that. Then he read off the list "unapproved activities". Dirt road driving was not on there, but driving to work was. Well, I am positive that there will be a time when I drive this van to work so that's a dealbreaker. When I mentioned this, he then said, "You'd drive a motorhome to work?" to which I replied "Well, it's pretty much a van." That comment led the agent to confirm "To have an RV policy, the vehicle must have ALL of the following items permanently installed: fresh water sink with greywater tank, cooking appliance, bathroom device, sleeping accommodations, or 110V power system." My van doesn't have all of those things, so they won't offer me an RV policy either.
I still want to give them my money, so he checked to see if a "commercial" policy would cover me. No dice- I sure can drive it to work, but if I use the vehicle for any personal activity, no coverage.

So none of their three products will cover my (apparently very unique) SMB and situation. I'm going to talk with a local Progressive agent tomorrow and see what works out. What a silly game.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #115
Site Team

Garage

Well don't believe a word any of them say But in all jest, how would they know you drive it to work? Just because you do drive it to work every now and then don't mean jack. It's like the mileage thing as an everyday driver. What is the difference and how would they be able to tell the difference if you take a 5000 mile trip or you drive it to work 2 miles each day? Total mileage is the only thing they can ding you on. As far as the items that are required, that can be an issue if you ever total. IMO that could be trouble whether or not those items are on board or not but I could be wrong. It just seems silly that in a total they will be looking for a black water tank or microwave although a sink might be a different story. It's what is on the work order build that might be trouble for you. In the case of a used vehicle they might want to look to see if the stuff is really there, I don't know. For me most insurance companies were hung up on the black water/marine head thing. If you have read the entire thread you have read my posts. I had issues with some companies, and even got different answers from agent to agent in the same companies. Try it. Call back and ask the same questions. I got different answers Sorry but when it comes to this, you're out on a limb and who knows when it will break.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Well don't believe a word any of them say
Documentation is my life. If it's not in writing, it didn't happen.

Quote:
But in all jest, how would they know you drive it to work? Just because you do drive it to work every now and then don't mean jack.
Somehow, in my mind, it would be tough to justify a wreck in morning rush hour on a Tuesday with only myself, my laptop, and no camping gear in the van.

Quote:
If you have read the entire thread you have read my posts. I had issues with some companies, and even got different answers from agent to agent in the same companies. Try it. Call back and ask the same questions. I got different answers Sorry but when it comes to this, you're out on a limb and who knows when it will break.
Yeah, I read the whole thread and had some specific questions prepared for my conversation with the agent. They fully understood it's a van converted to 4x4 and that I intend to take it away from the pavement. None of the prohibited activities in either type of coverage mentioned offroading, so that seemed OK.

We'll see what a real agent says...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #117

Having done a little personal injury work, I agree about the documentation. And sure, they might not be able to exclude you if you are engaged in unauthorized use. In a fender bender maybe so what. But consider liability: is your house worth gambling that they won't notice? In a policy limits claim by a commuter you ran over? The excluded activity may mean you're not covered for the liability either.

Insurance companies want to sell you insurance. When they put the skids on that should tell you something; why fight it? I went around with Progressive in CA and came to the conclusion they were pretty serious about not wanting to insure a SMB. Go elsewhere; if it's this hard to give them your money, consider how hard it will be to get money FROM them when you make a claim.

Rob
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
if it's this hard to give them your money, consider how hard it will be to get money FROM them when you make a claim.
Great advice. This is exactly why I'm trying to "play by the book". They don't make their money by paying me out for a claim so I'd expect them to fight pretty hard. They also probably have better lawyers than I can afford.

That said, after reading this whole thread, I still don't think I can identify a group preference for a particular insurance company. (other than the fact that Progressive actually recognizes a SMB 4x4 as a vehicle...)
I should probably not expect to get a definitive answer since everyone has such widely varying situations and the fact that insurance coverage seems to be 100% subjective.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #119

Maybe it depends on who you get in the phone. I had my 04 RB50 insured with Progressive for 8 years for an agreed upon value for the first 3 years then depreciated after that.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #120
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
Somehow, in my mind, it would be tough to justify a wreck in morning rush hour on a Tuesday with only myself, my laptop, and no camping gear in the van.

We'll see what a real agent says...

To me I totally understand their reluctance to cover during off road use and that would be easy to be nailed on, but driving in town? Myself my van always has enough stuff inside that even if I were sent to the hospital they would never know if I'm camping unless they called my work and asked if I was on vacation. I guess if there is something in the vehicle computer that shows you drive every day a few miles might get you in trouble. Jeez, I hope nobody has ever been hit with that.

I would say if you were in California and found a good policy to give me a heads up. I still don't know what would happen to me if I totaled out. My insurance company said there was no problem with my set up but told other members they couldn't be covered...go figure. I have yet to find a company that said they'll cover my RV because Sportsmobile says it's an RV. Some key words that bother me are weight, modified, off road, livable, aftermarket, and the worst of all, corporate. They might all lead to sorry your not covered. Now you might get some kind of a policy that covers your van "as is" and a policy that covers you anywhere you go in the world but I'd hate to see what it would cost. But my radar is still looking and I'm more than open to find the perfect policy. For now I just have thrown the book out of the window, cross my fingers and pray for the best. In court my guess is even running over sized tires can come back to bite you. In my favor, stock Sportsmobiles have come off the line with 315's on them and in fact, other than the Deaver springs my whole van is stock SMB. So far GMAC has been good to me on a couple of claims one of which the lady said "this big hugh thing just kept coming at me". Hell she backed into me first, I just applied throttle after the fact

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote