Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #191
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlin71 View Post
Hi there,

If all goes well, this summer we're expecting our 2018 4x4 2500 144 RB Low Roof PH

This is an example quote we got for insurance. Appreciate thoughts if our coverages look right!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03uu7q3xeq...nsurance1.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp03vafltb...nsurance2.jpeg
Hi there,

Congrats on the new vehicle! Since this is your first post, I’m not going to click on any links you post (nor should anyone else). It would be too easy to downlaod a malicious virus from someone posing as a new member. Could you post the informaion as I have done in this thread, that way there is no risk involved.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #192

Sure, thanks for letting me know.

Unit type: Class B Motor Home
Value $125k

Bodily Injury: 500k/500k
Property Damage: 100k
Medical Payments: 5k
Uninsured Motorists: 500k/500k
Waiver of collision ded 1k
Other than collision: 1k deductible
Collision: 1k deductible
Person property repl 2k
Vacation Liability 50k
Emergency expense 500
Towing & Roadside Asst 500

Total premium: $882
richlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlin71 View Post
Sure, thanks for letting me know.

Unit type: Class B Motor Home
Value $125k

Bodily Injury: 500k/500k
Property Damage: 100k
Medical Payments: 5k
Uninsured Motorists: 500k/500k
Waiver of collision ded 1k
Other than collision: 1k deductible
Collision: 1k deductible
Person property repl 2k
Vacation Liability 50k
Emergency expense 500
Towing & Roadside Asst 500

Total premium: $882
that seems like a good price, from what little i know.....

may i ask - who is the "carrier" and what state are you located in?

and do you have any other coverage with the same "carrier" (thus getting you a discount)

thanks

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #194

It was a sample quote from my Farmer's rep (I'm in CA). It looks like the underwriter is Foremost Insurance Co of Grand Rapids, MI.
richlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #195
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
I have National Interstate Insurance. I have the 5 year total loss replacement.

Angel
Something to consider is how well the insurance company handles past claims. A quick Google search on National Interstate Insurance revealed many complaints from their RV insurance customers.

Angel, how has your personal claims experience been wth NII?

Gar
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #196

Garage
This thread seems geared toward getting coverage for actual Sportsmobiles or factory authorized 4x4 conversions like Quigley. Any input on getting insurance on a home grown?

When I started building mine USAA told me I could get a stated value policy, but when I went to actually do that I was told that is only for "show cars and similar" and not for something that actually gets used. They then referred me to a few other places that all told me no. I tried Progressive, but they told me they won't insure a converted/customized vehicle.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #197
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
This thread seems geared toward getting coverage for actual Sportsmobiles or factory authorized 4x4 conversions like Quigley. Any input on getting insurance on a home grown?

When I started building mine USAA told me I could get a stated value policy, but when I went to actually do that I was told that is only for "show cars and similar" and not for something that actually gets used. They then referred me to a few other places that all told me no. I tried Progressive, but they told me they won't insure a converted/customized vehicle.
Sounds familiar. I was able to have the value of the Quigley 4x4 added for coverage with State Farm since it was done at the time of purchase. As to everything else I’ve done, probably not going to recover in case of theft or total loss due to fire or accident.

Gar
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM   #198

Garage
So all you who did your own build are basically running around with minimal coverage? Best I've found is $5000 over blue book value, which is a complete joke. I know people with rat rods insured for $50,000 but those companies won't insure a van because it can't be classified as a "show vehicle". I was told I can't classify it as an RV because it doesn't have a permanent toilet. I was told they could insure a new one built by SMB, but not an old one converted by SMB.

So how do people having these built by non-drop shipped outfitters insure theirs? How do people like the guy who had U-Joint and SMB build the infamous "AlphaVan" insure something they likely have well over a 100K invested in? Surely everybody isn't running around with an insurance policy that'll give them 5-10K for something they have that much money wrapped up in.

I'm not looking for full replacement value, but to think that I was told I could insure this beast based on value of the upgrades and now I can't is really frustrating and a little worrisome. Especially as I was recently rear ended in it and had to fight with the insurance companies (theirs and mine) as they were trying to replace a 11-month old Aluminess bumper with a stock bumper.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #199
GAR

David,

The pricen we pay to drive our homebuilt “manwagons”.

Gar
Old 06-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #200

Where are you located? RV insurance might be the easiest route.

I know folks that have done conversion to an RV registration with just a cassette toilet in CA. At which point I would expect that an insurance company would have to consider it an RV, since legally it is an RV.

FWIW, I'm underinsured for loss on the van. I use the thing enough in a non-RV capacity, that I fear I'd get a denial liability if something went badly wrong while hauling DIY supplies or some-such. So liability is honestly my primary concern, but then I don't have expensive bumpers. -- That bit of your story kind of convinces me to keep it that way. But yes on a total loss, I'd likely loose $25-40k or so replacing it. Not great, but part of keeping my van build cheap would allow me to absorb that if I really had to.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote