Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #21

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Would would be more the standard coverage, should I go the blanket coverage route?

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #22

I have a blanket/personal umbrella policy. They require that I have 250,000/500,000 on the body injury line.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #23
Site Team

Wow! Glad I saw this post stream. Having proper insurance on my van has been weighing heavily on my mind for quite some time. My Sportsmobile is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned and is getting even more expensive as I add stuff to it. I don't want to invest all this money and then have it flushed away in an instant by some drunk or distracted driver on the road who crashes into me. I also want it to be covered when I take it off road. After reading the previous posts I'm waiting for a more definitive answer on this topic. It sounds like it better state very clearly in the insurance policy that the insurer will pay X dollars (the replacement value of the van) should the van be totaled in an accident. It also sounds like the policy needs to recognize the vehicle is an off-road vehicle. Otherwise one is screwed! My van is worth far more now than what I paid for it. And it's definitely worth far more than a 2002 Ford E250 van. So I want to make sure my insurance accepts the real value of my van versus what they "think" it may be worth.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #24

I am hoping my aluminess bumpers save me.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #25

The 5 year full replacement value is for new SMB's and I had to submit my invoice from SMBW and Salem Kroger. They will replace my SMB with a current year model for the first 5 years of ownership if my SMB is a total loss.

They know it is a 4X4. I did not ask nor do I see anything in the policy as to where I can or cannot take it. I can not hire it out, abandon it or use it as my primary residence or sell drugs out of it.

Does anyone have a policy that talks about taking it on dirt roads/off road?

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
(someone will check this, i would but have 4 other boards to pester now
YOU ABSOLUTE HUSSY!

For the thread, I'm about $732/year for the van and have had many long, and recorded conversations with Progressive about what and how I'm covered. I love that Colorado is a single-party consent state! Hopefully I will never have to put the information to use- my hail claim illustrated some things, namely that Progressive's bread and butter is the $500 non-original items reimbursement cap, seconded barely by "you must have a receipt to get reimbursed", meaning those Jeep rock rails I waited 3 years to get "free" with the rear bumper purchase? $0 replacement value in their eyes (luckily not on my stated value policy).
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
(someone will check this, i would but have 4 other boards to pester now
YOU ABSOLUTE HUSSY!

For the thread, I'm about $732/year for the van and have had many long, and recorded conversations with Progressive about what and how I'm covered. I love that Colorado is a single-party consent state! Hopefully I will never have to put the information to use- my hail claim illustrated some things, namely that Progressive's bread and butter is the $500 non-original items reimbursement cap, seconded barely by "you must have a receipt to get reimbursed", meaning those Jeep rock rails I waited 3 years to get "free" with the rear bumper purchase? $0 replacement value in their eyes (luckily not on my stated value policy).
That's what always concerns me about people, myself included, making insurer decisions soley on rates. Though not as readily apparent, the service provided after a problem has significant value.

Herb
Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
That's what always concerns me about people, myself included, making insurer decisions soley on rates. Though not as readily apparent, the service provided after a problem has significant value.
Quite right, but where is the evidence that paying higher premiums results in better claim service? In the absence of a plethora of totalled SMBs (God forbid) how is one to know?
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
I have a porta pottie and some insurances are not O K with no bathroom. I made sure I had in writing the required systems to classify it as a motor home

Angel
what's the advantage of having your camper classified as a motorhome?
is the insurance premium less?

Then what is a bathroom? Do they require a shower? Seems to me a porta-pottie should be sufficient.

also, for an umbrella policy, does anyone know how these work exactly?
How does the umbrella protect your assets.
I've asked around and no one can give me a straight answer.
Insurance is such a racket. You keep paying premiums for protection but when there is a claim you have to fight to get payment. I'm sure we all have a list of issues we've had with insurance companies.

Thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
what's the advantage of having your camper classified as a motorhome?
is the insurance premium less?

Then what is a bathroom? Do they require a shower? Seems to me a porta-pottie should be sufficient.
Don't know about other states, but Washington State DMV requires correct classification of your vehicle when you register it. The only other advantage, besides getting out of a possible arguement with the State Patrol, might be that you can keep open bottles of liquer inside the van (behind the cab area) without getting a citation. Also, guys with more than 10,000 pounds may get a break on thier WA State tabs if they're an RV and don't have to pay by the pound.

As far as a bathroom goes, porta potti is sufficient, but it better be in there when they check.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote