Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #81

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

I have the RV insurance though AAA, with actual cash value policy, 7k annual miles runs around $468.per year

rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #82
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPa1
Right, USAA does not offer RV insurance, but they team up with Progressive. I got excellent coverage for about $ 850 per year with full replacement and personal property replacement up to $5,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
USAA member living in California using Progressive as of Feb. 2012. I've got full coverage plus replacement value for $519 yr. Call Jennifer: 800-289-7708 option 8, ext. 3744501. According to Jennifer, if you choose Progressive and you're not a USAA member, you can get full replacement cost but you will need a certified appraisal. New California law?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawg
I have the RV insurance though AAA, with actual cash value policy, 7k annual miles runs around $468.per year
Provided you don't have one, but how did you guys get by the requirement of having a plummed in head with blackwater tank?
Each of those providers refused to cover my van as an RV without the so called "marine head". Of course the last time I checked was several years back. Most all of the agents accepted me at first until I pressed them on the issue. Then after a call into corporate I was told I didn't qualify.
I ended up with Good Sam GMAC which covers my van but costs more.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #83

Go to the Progressive website. They have "Sportmobile" under the motor-home / RV section.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #84
Site Team

Garage

Progressive told me my van didn't qualify for RV coverage without a blackwater tank. Mine doesn't have one and they said a porta pottie didn't not count. They wouldn't even cover it as a van because of the RV equipment in the van! I just went with an RV insurance company, but didn't get such low rates. What I was told is if I totaled out my van (with a progerssive policy) and it didn't have a plummed in head/BW-tank, the van would not be covered. Maybe they have changed in the last few years, but at least I would make that call and check with their corporate office. That could be a huge loss in a bad wreck.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #85

Progressive doesn't want do-it-your-selfers'
RV's that Progressive insures:
A class B camper van has the following characteristics:

Built by the factory for camping purposes with sleeping, kitchen, toilet facilities, 110 volt hookup, fresh water storage and an extension roof.
Most economical, versatile and maneuverable type of motor home.
Narrower than other motor homes because it utilizes space within the existing van body.
Ranges from 16 to 21 feet in length.
Typically sleeps up to 4 people.
All features are installed by the RV manufacturer.
Does not include conversion vans.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #86

I ran into the same problems with USAA & Progressive. Ended up with GMAC with a Good Sam discount. Did not have to be a GS member, just asked for the discount and they gave it to me.

John
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #87
Site Team

Garage

Bought ours from Progressive last December, full replacement, no problems. Hopefully, the agent knew what she was doing. Expensive, though. >$1k/yr. Wanted full replacement and no one offered. DIdn't want to buy from non-local or internet-based vendor. Talked for a while with SMB West Nick's brother, a Progressive agent in Fresno, but he isn't licensed in NM. Seemed OK but left me dangling at the end with the possibility he was getting a NM license. He never closed the loop on that one.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #88
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratworst
Progressive doesn't want do-it-your-selfers'
RV's that Progressive insures:
A class B camper van has the following characteristics:

Built by the factory for camping purposes with sleeping, kitchen, toilet facilities, 110 volt hookup, fresh water storage and an extension roof.
Most economical, versatile and maneuverable type of motor home.
Narrower than other motor homes because it utilizes space within the existing van body.
Ranges from 16 to 21 feet in length.
Typically sleeps up to 4 people.
All features are installed by the RV manufacturer.
Does not include conversion vans.
Hum, called them last night and their policy has not changed. The Progressive guy did say they will insure a Sportsmobile provided it has the necessary equipment on board that classifies it as an RV and I did tell him it was a class B Econoline van. One of the requirements is it must have a plumbed in toilet and black water holding tank. They did say that an agent can make special requirements or exceptions but it would be something you would have to work out with them. The corporate office would not cover the vehicle in a total out if they found it wasn’t a van that qualified. The funny thing was the person I talked to was ready to sign me up until I mentioned it didn’t have the toilet system on board. All he read on his screen was a Sportsmobile is regarded as an class B RV but that consider it to be a SMB built with all the correct stuff to classify it as an RV. It’s not their fault that the owner deleted part of the RV that un-qualifies it…and that applies to any RV. If you ask the manufacture to delete the black water system in any RV they won’t cover it….At least that was what I was told last night.
I think each person needs to find out on their own on what is and what not is covered and make sure. I’d hate for anybody to rely on sketchy information and I’m certainly not an expert by any means. I was just looking for a lower rate.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #89
Site Team

"...One of the requirements is it must have a plumbed in toilet and black water holding tank..."

When I researched my case a number of years back, that was not a California DMV requirement, so either it changed or it must be an insurance company generated requirement.

Herb
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #90
Site Team

This Forum just saved me $400 per year on my insurance for my SMB. I just had my AARP auto insurance through The Hartford changed over to reflect my SMB as an RV. I increased the actual insurance to get full replacement value for my SMB (versus mere coverage for a regular 2002 Ford van) and still lowered my premium. More coverage for less money. What a deal!!!!

And FYI: The Hartford did not have a requirement for a toilet. I told them about the stove and refrigerator. The only other thing they asked was if it had beds.

If you are not using your SMB as a regular daily-type driver, you should make sure you are getting RV insurance instead of regular truck insurance.