Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Got link to product?

I read through this older thread because I have considered this for my Promaster front door glass at a minimum, and thought it would be helpful to name a brand. I got a price for lightly tinted 3M Scotchshield of around $300 for those two, along with the adjacent fixed portions-all glass in the two front doors, plus another $200 for the two rear door glass from a local 3M certified installer. No glass removal required and, according to the installer, no issue with power windows operation.

The question about escape is an excellent point, though side glass is typically tempered, not laminated. As I understand it, the film is intended largely as a diversion, to make a bad guy realize that another vehicle will be an easier target. It may as well be laminated! The video below shows 55 seconds to penetrate the glass/film, so while probably not impossible to escape from it sure would slow you down and you may want a larger hammer. @arctictraveller, great tip on keeping belt cutter/hammer nearby!

3M site:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716660&rt=rud

Video, 1:14

Dave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave06 View Post

The question about escape is an excellent point, though side glass is typically tempered, not laminated. As I understand it, the film is intended largely as a diversion, to make a bad guy realize that another vehicle will be an easier target. It may as well be laminated! The video below shows 55 seconds to penetrate the glass/film, so while probably not impossible to escape from it sure would slow you down and you may want a larger hammer. @arctictraveller, great tip on keeping belt cutter/hammer nearby!
When/if a thief discovered the film in-place they'd most likely leave and not even try entering---they're in the smash 'n grab biz, not into lingering unless you have some very very high value loot they're after.

Excape-wise would be slower but as the owner you'd know this and would hopefully be prepared. If a first-responder encounters this sort of film they should be trained well enough to engage something more powerful--laminated side glass isn't new so they've seen it before.

The idea of a seat belt cutter and hammer in one tool is a great idea too---clip more than few inside the vehicle for quick access.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote