Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #11

Re: Shipping my van to the UK looking for some advice on par

Sounds like you have most of it nailed down!

I don't think the bumpers will need modifying, but the lighting will. The easiest route would be to convert to sealed beam headlights (like work vans have) then install the Hella H4 lights. You will also need to swap to the '92-'94 tail-lights and split the turn/brake circuits at the steering column switch, and also add some mid-ship turn signals.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

As for brokerage fees, shop around, but most importantly select your customs broker BEFORE the van ships. If it ends up going into the lottery at the port, you'll get charge MUCH more. Keep in mind that there is a base fee, and a processing fee for each line item on your commercial invoice, so it may not make sense to pack a bunch of low-value items you could easily buy over there.

My best experience with a European firm has been with Panalpina.
http://www.panalpina.com/www/global/en/home.html

My overall preferred shipper/broker though is Steven's Global. I don't know if they handle UK custom's directly however, but they have good partners where they don't have a broker.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #12

I pulled some tail-lights and wiring out of a 94 at the scrap yard. However after replacing it when I use the indicators not only dose the yellow light flash but also the brake lights still flashes. I'm guessing that "splitting the turn/brake circuits at the steering column switch" as you suggested would stop that from happening? It Sounds a bit fiddly do you know if its explained anywhere in detail on the internet.

I also hadn't realized about the mid-ship turn signals but with more bike traffic I guess its a safety thing. Do you know If I can get away with one on the front fenders close to the doors or dose it have to be more centered on the body.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I pulled some tail-lights and wiring out of a 94 at the scrap yard. However after replacing it when I use the indicators not only dose the yellow light flash but also the brake lights still flashes. I'm guessing that "splitting the turn/brake circuits at the steering column switch" as you suggested would stop that from happening? It Sounds a bit fiddly do you know if its explained anywhere in detail on the internet.

I also hadn't realized about the mid-ship turn signals but with more bike traffic I guess its a safety thing. Do you know If I can get away with one on the front fenders close to the doors or dose it have to be more centered on the body.
You have to remove the brake light wire from the "multi-function switch", which it the turn signal lever. You then have to run new brake light wires, which Ford recommends just routing from the 3rd brake light.

Yes, the "mid-ship" light is supposed to go on the fender in front of the doors.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #14

okay thanks I give it a go
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #15

Another quick question for carringb about this flashing break light problem.

Would if be easier if run wires from the top center break light down to the break lights that flash?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #16

Forget my last question its not relvent. The flashing not my problem it is the breakes
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM   #17

Okay by now I'm guessing you have all worked out I'm not the most technical guy out there. So I am looking for a solution which might avoid me taking to much of my van apart. I found this Vehicle to Vehicle Taillight Converter Part number - 118158 from Etralier.com which looks like it might just be something I can add to wiring harness between the lights and all the buttons, switches and pedals. What do you think or is this just a waist of time and money.

And again thanks for all your input its all helping this is a link to the the converter I found

http://www.etrailer.com/question-54644.ht
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #18

Bad link sorry about that

http://www.etrailer.com/question-54644.html
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #19

That converter will work, except for one function: It won't flash amber Hazards, it will flash red for the hazards. I don't know if that would pass inspection or not. Also, it's another component which could fail, and trailer electronics rarely seam as robust as OEM truck stuff.

I'll try to find you Ford's instruction later this morning. Problem is they put the revised version on the fleet site which is for vans with a BCM (which only require changing a setting in the computer), so the old version is buried in the archives somewhere.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #20

Okay thanks very much