Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #31

Re: Shipping my van to the UK looking for some advice on par

okay got it thanks

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Okay I see so as my van already has the work van style of lights am I right in thinking all I need to do is switch to h4 bulbs or is my electrician friend getting more beer and pizza
No, the beam pattern is in the lens of the light. You need to swap the entire light assembly and bulbs if you didn't already have halogen bulbs to re-use.
I think Matt has sealed-beam headlights, which means his bulbs are his headlight assembly.

I'm not sure if you can by E-code sealed-beam headlights in that size though. But Hella does makes an E-code sealed-beam conversion which takes the H4 bulb.

Note: The Hella headlight assembly comes with new H4 bulbs. The catalog doesn't say that, so I ordered new bulbs at the same time (this being for a fleet of F650s). I could have saved almost $200 in extra bulbs had I know that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...FYZcMgodBFoAFA

I actually got a better price ordering them through CarQuest, but I had a fleet account so I'm not sure if that would be the case for retail sales. At the very least I'd think they would match the Summit price, since doubt they were losing money when they sold them to me.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Okay I see so as my van already has the work van style of lights am I right in thinking all I need to do is switch to h4 bulbs or is my electrician friend getting more beer and pizza
No, the beam pattern is in the lens of the light. You need to swap the entire light assembly and bulbs if you didn't already have halogen bulbs to re-use.
I think Matt has sealed-beam headlights, which means his bulbs are his headlight assembly.

I'm not sure if you can by E-code sealed-beam headlights in that size though. But Hella does makes an E-code sealed-beam conversion which takes the H4 bulb.

Note: The Hella headlight assembly comes with new H4 bulbs. The catalog doesn't say that, so I ordered new bulbs at the same time (this being for a fleet of F650s). I could have saved almost $200 in extra bulbs had I know that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...FYZcMgodBFoAFA

I actually got a better price ordering them through CarQuest, but I had a fleet account so I'm not sure if that would be the case for retail sales. At the very least I'd think they would match the Summit price, since doubt they were losing money when they sold them to me.
Right re sealed beams vs halogen, the only problem with those listed at Summit is they are LHD headlights.... not RHD.

To summarize:
UK: e-code, RHD
Europe: e-code LHD
US: DOT LHD

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #34

I went this way.

standart "E" headlamps that are very cheap. Remove the plastiklense and cut out a hole of the original lampbody.
Than put all together. So you still have the adjustment of the headlamps what is mentatory for registration. And it looks not so bad i think.
You also can swap easy fro rhd to lhd

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0330.jpg   IMGP0335.jpg   IMGP1205.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #35

What do you guys think about using this type of light. They are RHD E codes but are meant for a Jeep

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cibie-7x5-Rec ... 0359490480
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #36

Quote:
What do you guys think about using this type of light. They are RHD E codes but are meant for a Jeep

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cibie-7x5-Rec ... 0359490480
They look correct, according to this page Valeo p/n 82465 are 200mm x 142mm
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VALEO-headlight- ... 0406598203

I know the E350 lo-series lights are 200mm x 142mm, and they are the same as a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

BTW these are great lights. I have a LHD e-code set in my SMB and about to put a set in my Cherokee.
The LHD lights are Valeo p/n 82462.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote