Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Sshould i upgrade my tires

Although I do not own an SMB I do have a converted E series van. I like to keep the stealth look and it is externally stock. Being that it is an E150 and came with 225/75/16 tires I was considering upgrading to the 245/75/16 size.
I am concerned about the additional corner weight, unsprung, the 245 are 8lbs heavier per tire and I wonder if this will give a poorer ride and a more ponderous feel over the 225 with little gain.
I currently run Michelin LTX M/S2 and are looking at the new CrossClimate tire.
I am almost always on pavement with a very limited loose gravel use.
Am I overthinking the tire weight and would the 245 be noticeable for grip.

I appreciate this might be a little tame for most SMB users but I would appreciate any insight.

asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #2

I think the 245 was a stock tire size so I doubt you will feel a negative ride quality with that size.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

I think a point of clarification is that you are discussing upsizing not necessarily upgrading. I always think running a nice premium tire is the first place to decide to spend money if you have it. Michelin LTXs are nice tires, so it just depends on where you drive and what you want to gain. If you're not planning on going off road or on forest roads, then I'd suggest staying at the current size and effective gear ratio given you want to keep a stock look.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Are the CrossClimate tires e-weight rated? If not, make sure they have a weight rating that support what your van weighs. I don’t think going with 245s will get you very much other than filling out the wheelwells slightly better. Your speedo/odo will be slightly off too, but can be adjusted at the dealer I believe.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
I appreciate that the E250/350 came with the245 and that was partly the reason for thinking about an upsize.
The Michelin CrossClimate are an E rated tire and have the latest compound and a peak/winter rating.
With little difference apart from a slight cosmetic look and additional weight I think I will stick with the 225. They have performed well and the van seems to like that setup.
The van weighs 7400 lbs fitted out and wet.
Thanks to all who responded.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

My fully Pleasureway traverse camperized (ford e250) came with 225 to help make garageable. If your e150 is still light then stick with em since you don't go offroad. 225vs 245 's is more weight bearing capacity although on this forum always goes bigger. I now run 245's in the summer 265 studded in the winter (British Columbia ). Hills are easier to drive in smaller tires as you get rpm's up faster , which something I've noticed.
Just get some good quality tires and drive. PS where are u located ie climate region?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

I am in Eastern Ontario although I seldom drive the van in the snow the snowflake does appeal due to the drive on I81 south in March. Currently, with the 225 tires, I am returning 19mpg from my last road trip to Colorado and back via Memphis. I have checked the mileage both via the ultra gauge and by fuel bought to distance covered.
The van rides well and is well balanced, my only mod is a Road Master front stabilizer which I like a lot, self-centers the steering due to the spring.
I do like the idea of 245 but wonder if it is worth the unsprung weight and potential loss of economy and comfort.
I have a Forscan so I think I could alter the speedo.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

I grew up in london, but used to go to muskoka , ottawa , Algongquin park etc.
For tires I *** Highly reccomend Nokian Rotiva LT 2's if you just want to run one set of tires.

They are are real all weather , snowflake rated tires you can run year round. I have driven them up to ski hills out here in bc no problem, fantastic in the rain and smooth on the highway.

I've had michelin LTx's I hated them , except in summer.

For dedicated snows I bought hakkpelitta studded but that was for mountain pass driving .I'm skipping putting them on this year as I recovering from knee surgery so skipping boarding season this year[emoji35][emoji24]
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

I ran the LTX for many many Years . its one of the best you can buy for your setup. High Mileage and not to loud. I would consider new Wheels and Replace the LTX with new version of same rubber.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

yes, only go with E rated.. I could make your Head pop about that .. Go for the new Mich CrossClimate
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote