Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

SMB Austin? Van Works?

Hello all

Newbie poster. Bought a bare bones cargo EB350 Van few months ago. 4x4 (UJOINT) should be done in a few weeks & top (CCV) should be completed late August????I plan to do 3/4 of the interior myself. I called & left VM &emailed SMB Austin about doing a couple interior things. No reply's at all. Is this what to expect from there customer service? Anyone have experiences with them? Might go check out Van works in Ft Collins,Co. after I drop with CCV. Anyone heard about their work?

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

I dunno about Austin, but IIRC Fresno wouldn't do work on non-SMBs, and wouldn't do very much to mod existing SMBs. Their work was pretty much taken up with new stuff, and they were great on even non-warranty repair of existing work. They said they just didn't have the time to do that and meet their warranty and new build obligations.

I'd look elsewhere for piecemeal work on your own build. Who might do it probably depends on the work, not the vehicle it's in.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #3

Welcome. Can't wait to see what you come up with. You should do a LOT of reading here. Your questions have been discussed many times. We're happy to help but start searching and you'll get a lot of this on your own.

All three SMB locations are always busy. The best phone support is Indiana, then Austin and then Fresno. Just remember it's high summer and Sportsmobile's busiest time of the year.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

My Sportsmobile had a platform in the back that I wanted to have modified with a walk through with benches on each side, plus some other work like cabinets. SMB West and Texas were too busy for such small jobs. Van Specialties would do it for me, but I would have had to leave it with them for months on end. Ended up having my son helping me put the benches in that can double as bunk beds.

Good luck on your project.

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Well thanks all for the replies. Its been over a week since I emailed SMB Austin & over 2 since I left a VM. No response at all. i wanted to speak with them about a possible full conversion as well. I understand summer is busy for them. Its real busy for me as well, and many others. Before I rant about basic customer service I'll just move on. VS in PDX was very responsive and Greg there was great to talk to so I guess that who ill be bringing my business to. FYI Van Works in Ft Collins Co. doesn't work on E-Series any more.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

I think all 3 of the SMB locations are almost a year out on scheduling new work. Nice problem to have I guess.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

If you have not called and asked for Zac Smith, you might want to do so. Hopefully, he will at least answer your message: Here's his email, z.smith@sportsmobile.com

Good luck.

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #8

Van Specialties did my interior and cant say enough good things about them. Waited about 7 months for them to fit me into their schedule, but it was worth it. I just planned a long trip around it and dropped my van off at the end of the trip, then flew back and picked it up when it was done.

I feel their build quality is better than SMB and they will custom build an interior for you. Their prices were much easier to swallow than SMB also. I liked the fact it was not an assembly line. They assigned one guy to do everything, so he owned the work and craftsmanship.

Might want to make sure they are still working on the E series van. Heard they were no longer working on them and were just focusing on Sprinters/Transits.

Good Luck
GBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBreezy View Post
Van Specialties did my interior and cant say enough good things about them. Waited about 7 months for them to fit me into their schedule, but it was worth it. I just planned a long trip around it and dropped my van off at the end of the trip, then flew back and picked it up when it was done.

I feel their build quality is better than SMB and they will custom build an interior for you. Their prices were much easier to swallow than SMB also. I liked the fact it was not an assembly line. They assigned one guy to do everything, so he owned the work and craftsmanship.

Might want to make sure they are still working on the E series van. Heard they were no longer working on them and were just focusing on Sprinters/Transits.

Good Luck
I agree that if you are close, Van Specialties is a better way to go than SMB. I sure hate to hear they may not be working on E-series anymore.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBreezy View Post
... I liked the fact it was not an assembly line. They assigned one guy to do everything, so he owned the work and craftsmanship...
That would be a HUGE selling point in my view. Personal pride, personal ownership, personal accountability in delivering a solid product to a satisfied customer.

Herb