Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

SMB 2004 e350 EB Diesel 4x4 good to go?

Seriously considering a 2004 E350 EB Quigley 4x4 6.0 Elec PH walk through

Other than the 6.0 issues...

are there any reason why this is not an ideal model?

Layout wise, setup everything thins thing appears to be the holy grail.. just slightly apprehensive about the 6.0

Anything else to noteabout the model year/setup etc?

Thanks in advance

DiselSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

We love our walk through layout. Only issues are a couple of hinge screws came lose. They were an easy fix.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #3

Garage
6.0 has the power, economy & torque. 25% better fuel mileage.
But 6.0 must have regular servicing, including changing oil, fuel &
air filters. I have improved airflow through Engine with air scoop,
bonnet grills & new all Aluminium Performance Radiator.
Nothing sweeter than a 32 valve V8 Ford 6.0 diesel engine with variable
vane Garret Turbo and APR head studs, climbs every mountain.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #4

I too love my walk-through/penthouse. Mine is older (1997) but was a single owner rig that was meticulously cared for and documented.
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

Garage
We are happy with our walk through, we like the access to the cabinets, fridge, etc. The only drawback I see is if you have more than 2 people it can be difficult to maneuver inside. A 50 design has a larger open space which is easier for more than 2.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2tx View Post
We are happy with our walk through, we like the access to the cabinets, fridge, etc. The only drawback I see is if you have more than 2 people it can be difficult to maneuver inside. A 50 design has a larger open space which is easier for more than 2.
It's all relative. I tried to get my wife interested in an EB50 thinking the same as you and she totally disagreed. She said she feels the walk through is better for our family of four. Anyway, just another opinion, and yeah, I've got a problem with her opinions sometimes too.

OP, is you have hesitations about the 6.0 I would keep looking. Think about how far off the beaten path an SMB takes you. Tow trucks don't go there.
That's why I don't have one. Sorry 6.0 owners, just my opinion.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

Garage
There is nothing wrong with the year or model.
If that is the layout you guys prefer, nab it!

My wife doesn't like the smell of diesel, heck I can't even smell it, so... it had to be gas for us.

We spent a few months trying different layouts. I sleep funny and need a bed longer than laying across the dinette in the back version. We wanted to take the grandkids around and must have a forward facing seat for young ones to be belted in, so the gaucho would not work for us.

We love the 50, Many love something else. If you LOVE it then proceed to the other things, but the layout and the engine are the things that you must live with, unless you have a very large checkbook. If that were the case I imagine you would be looking at a newer van.

With these things personal preference rules!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #8

Really my main focus is 2004 good to go?

6.0 not that bad, or just absolutely stay away?

does the 6.0 effect the resales of the smb?
DiselSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

I love my walk through, and everyone who gets inside comments about how much more storage and how accessible is that storage from the inside....

I love my 6.0, but they do require more proactive maintenance, I would not hesitate to buy if mileage is low, will not buy if mileage is over 90k without having some evidence on how it was maintained, unless of course it's a good price and you can then afford to put $7k to go over the engine.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote