Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
You can find something for your budget that’s totally safe. Keep in mind that even older rigs are usually lightly used because they are 2-3rd vehicles for people. Or you can get an older one with higher miles.
to clarify - I do not want to buy a used one, for a variety of reasons. (maintenance, new safety features, etc, etc)

So does anyone have suggestions as to a minimal build out?

thanks.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #12

Just realized that really we'd want a fridge, plus a solar panel, plus a battery... so the fridge could run all the time, and not be reliant on the van battery.

Ug.

has anyone done a minimal electrical system for Fridge only? with roof solar and battery

and... i seem to recall that any sort of batteries need to be vented to the outside... even AGM (?)

thanks for any info.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
to clarify - I do not want to buy a used one, for a variety of reasons. (maintenance, new safety features, etc, etc)

So does anyone have suggestions as to a minimal build out?

thanks.
Sorry, I got mixed up about which thread I was responding to. Someone else was looking for a van under $30k.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I'd say you better talk with SMB first. Anything you add may have to be removed at a later date and possibly cost you extra. They might be able to do a basic build at a reasonable cost and do the necessary pre-work for the later build out. My guess is you'll have to give them an idea of what you want to end up with when totally completed.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #15

Heh...you've already got feature creep. A common affliction.

Adding electrical and fridge etc is getting closer to a full build out. And the more you put in the less room etc for adding stuff later. And yes, AGMs are vented too as SMB installs them (unless they put them below the floor, obviously). And you've got wiring behind walls, holes in roof for solar, etc. At this point, might be easier to discuss what you're leaving out: mainly storage cabinets and beds?

I built my van kinda minimal, but permanently. No propane, no attached solar, no toilet, etc. I'd suggest you just go a bit bigger and maybe get the beds with room for storage. And forget stuff like awnings.

Or maybe rent for the next five years.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #16

Hello and welcome! You ask if you’re crazy- I’d offer that we are all on a spectrum of Normal crazy here- you included now that you posted! ��

Having a passenger van that I removed 2 bench seats from for camping, I would recommend AGAINST camping in an empty van. It got very old stacking duffels and crates and moving them around to sleep or hang out in during bad weather.

I was fortunate enough to reconfigure passenger seating with OEM individual seats I bought from an EBay seller... mounted using the factory floor bolt pattern/hardware. ( thrilled to hear that MGWorks has a suitable alternate).

My simple build is a platform bed with storage underneath which made a World of difference- so much more pleasant to be in, and I sleep really well on the bed. Not to mentioned that People are nosy and always tried to look in when doors were open, so having my things stored underneath feels much more private.

I found a small cement mix tray which porta potty fits neatly in, and then slides under the platform bed. This solved two problems- my toddler grandson not always being neat, and occasional passengers always seem to give my porta potty the side-eye!

I have privacy glass but installed sunbrella-fabric curtains which add privacy and nicely deflect heat. (Must get a more finished look with those other than bungies!)

I opted for a large yeti cooler until i add house battery- which serves well for food , seating and tabletop. I found small BLack Diamond LED lamps work nicely for interior lighting and pack away easily. Also my design evolved around my preference of transporting road bikes inside my van and having work space when needed (artist)

That’s my bare-minimum build which has been affordable enough- I’ve spent more time and $$ on cleaning, flooring, troubleshooting mechanicals and leaks, improving suspension, addressing touches of lower body rust - y’know practical stuff.

Just my two cents worth- will get some photos up soon.
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote