Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Re: Smoking brake (just one)

IIRC, brake proportioning valves modulate hydraulic pressure front to rear when the brakes are applied to optimize the braking across both axles.

As already mentioned, the usual suspects for a smoking brake is either stuck pistons or the pins that allow the caliper to float. Rebuilt calipers are cheap and an easy replacement.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
IIRC, brake proportioning valves modulate hydraulic pressure front to rear when the brakes are applied to optimize the braking across both axles.

As already mentioned, the usual suspects for a smoking brake is either stuck pistons or the pins that allow the caliper to float. Rebuilt calipers are cheap and an easy replacement.
Correct.

Never overlook the brake hoses - they can swell and present the same symptoms.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

I was looking at an E-450 based rig and this happened on the test drive. Just one front wheel, smoking and hot as fire (although not ON fire). After it cooled down it drove normally (although the issue was still lurking). It was a friend of mine selling it, so although I decided it was too large for my purposes, I did find out that it was a stuck brake caliper ("caliper slide" IIRC). When I took my E-350 in for its first service (under my ownership) they specifically mentioned lubing the caliper slides (if I have the term right) because apparently they are somewhat prone to this.

Side note: I paddled the Main Fork of the salmon years ago (raft-supported, whoo, big coolers on the rafts meant lots of fresh food!). Was a great trip!

Also, wow, that hot springs looks amazing! I want to be there.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #14

Stuck caliper happened to me earlier this year as well. Luckily just around town instead of deep into a trip. Smoke pouring from the left front, wheel too hot to touch. Brake lines were ok, but I replaced both calipers, rotors, and pads. Greased the slides with synth grease recommended by Ford.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder

Correct.

Never overlook the brake hoses - they can swell and present the same symptoms.
This!

In fact, if I ever have this problem again, I'd replace the hoses first and see if that solves the problem...assuming a visual inspection doesn't immediately reveal something else. Cheap stuff first. I think a set of factory hoses is about $25.00?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #16

I think I would get a set of stainless hoses from Ujoint. Less prone to failure and a firmer feel too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I think I would get a set of stainless hoses from Ujoint. Less prone to failure and a firmer feel too.
Are they a universal fit? I mean my van is even different than the standard SMB build of the day but I do know Deaver didn't have to change them from what SMB installed. I've been wanting to put in SS braided brake lines for a long time but have always been told you need to pull the old ones so they can match them. If ones sold by Ujoint work I'd be making the call soon.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote