Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #1

SNOW CHAINS

Can anyone recommend a good pair of snow chains for 2WD LT245/75R x 16E BSW A/S tires? I don't want to have to jack up the van just to put on the chains (that's a lot of wieight). Would prefer the easiest install possible, but reliable and effective chains.

I've been debating between Thule XG-12 and XB-16 for size 250 chains, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'd be interested in the pros and cons between the two Thule models too. The XG-12 has covers to protect your wheels from scratching. Does anyone know if this is something I should be concerned about given that my wheels are Ford forged aluminum wheels - SRW?

Any feedback much appreciated. Getting ready for a trip to the mountains in late May. Don't plan on doing much off-road driving, but plenty of mountain passes and national park routes.

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: SNOW CHAINS

There have been some other discussions on chains so you might search for those. Bill Burke also recommends some chains. His don't come in my size so we had to go an alternate route; I have mentioned those here somewhere but I don't remember the name now.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.html

I bought my RUD chains after reading this article from Bill Burke.

There are some handy youtube videos available that show how to install these chains. They are very easy to get on and you don't need to lift the tire off the ground.

Don't be a tool like me and actually practice how to install these before you need them.

Now that I know what I'm doing, I can get them on in less than 5 minutes per tire.

R
Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #4

Les Schwab Heavy Duty Quick Fits. Install takes less than a minute with practice, they can be snugged up tight so they won't flap around and hit the body, and they ride nice.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. Not much luck finding info on chains via the search function. That RUD chain web site has some good advise on buying and using chains. Wekipedia was another good source.

I ended up ordering Thule XG-12 Pros from JC Whitney over the phone. They had a $5 shipping charge deal, plus $5 insurance fee. No tax and shipped direct to SMB West so they're ready when I get there. A set of two comes in a 17 pound box! Talk about a space hog...

One thing I did find is that Ford's owner manual states you should only use SAE S chains with the LT tires. That's what nixed Thule XB-16 chains for me. Plus Ford's manual indicates steel rims are best when using chains, but I already ordered forged Aluminum rims. The XG-12 chains come with a rim protection device. I can't imagine that a forged metal is going to be soft enough to get nicked or chipped by chains, so hope the protector will suffice otherwise.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

Whaaa. After telling me the snow chains were in stock, JC Whitney couldn't deliver! Now they're saying it's a fall item and they can't get 'em 'till then. Hope I don't need chains in Sequoia National Forest in early June...
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I know they might cost more through SMB but it's on the way. Did you try them? You might want to try somebody like 4 wheel parts in Fresno. SMB has PEWAG but I don't know what size they keep in stock.
http://www.pewag.biz/kataloge/Snow_chai ... izard=true

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #8

I think any good auto parts store can order them for your tire size and weight. You should never have to jack up a vehicle to put on chains. Drape the chains over the top of the tire and tuck them as far under the tire as you can. Drive ahead a little bit and hook the inside of the chains first, then the outsides. Put on the snubbers. Drive a couple miles and then check the tightness. Done.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #9

http://www.clothiertransmissionandtractionproducts.com/

These are the best tire chains I have ever seen.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the suggestions. There's some pretty interesting info on tire chains at Clothiers. Doesn't seem to meet my 2WD paved road needs though. Looks like Sequoia National Park suggests you have chains no matter what time of the year you visit them. Guess I'll be looking at what SMB or a local retailed has in Fresno. I'll let you know how it turns out.