Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #11

Re: Some may want to know-46 g. tank info

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Are you sure you can't squeeze in more by "blipping" the gas pump handle?
10 gallons ½ ounce at a time! I've never not given up on this. There are some pumps/stations that will pump slow enough that you can fill at a trickle without setting off the stop. It's tough and takes a long time. I could probably fix the breather tube with all the time I've spent topping off the tank, but that's the only thing that works for me- and if the pump won't go that slow after a few tries, it's not worth it..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Are you sure you can't squeeze in more by "blipping" the gas pump handle?
10 gallons ½ ounce at a time! I've never not given up on this. There are some pumps/stations that will pump slow enough that you can fill at a trickle without setting off the stop. It's tough and takes a long time. I could probably fix the breather tube with all the time I've spent topping off the tank, but that's the only thing that works for me- and if the pump won't go that slow after a few tries, it's not worth it..
Yes, I did sometimes find some pumps that would work at the very slowest setting without blipping. (And I could sometimes prop my keys in there just right to hold the handle in place.) Usually the more old-fashioned pumps without fancy vapor recovery.

After spending plenty thousands to buy this van in the first place, I really wanted this feature to work right. I do need all that gas for the places I like to go, and messing around at the pump like that at the start of each adventure was putting me in a bad mood. So, I ended up dumping some time and money into the problem until it finally got fixed.

-- Geoff
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
The max I could put in is 38 Gallons. Tried it several times...

Will have to take the tank apart to see where is the problem, almost sure I have to cut the breather tube or/and modify the venting.
Are you sure you can't squeeze in more by "blipping" the gas pump handle? I know it's excruciatingly slow, but I could manage this (took 10 minutes to dribble in all 10 extra gallons) -- before messing with my breather tubes. I did this only for special occasions, like venturing into deep Baja desert.

-- Geoff
Don't know anymore but I think I could not put much more in it, what I know is that I had already, at that time, a nice splash of diesel on the floor.
But anyway I do not want to wait each time 10 minutes prefer modify the system once for all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberman
what brand of tank is it? I have a 2007 v10 an have been looking for a larger tank..
Transfertflow as written in above posts.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #14

I lost my patience with spending 10 minutes squeazing the last 6 gallons into my 46 gal tank a couple of years ago, so duplicated Eric Badger's modification. It's a real PIA to drop the tank, but it allowed me to insinuate an air powered die grinder and enough of my arm through the filler neck port.

The vent is surrounded by a piece of approximately 2" pipe a couple of inches long welded to the top of the tank forming a collar that creates a large air pocket at the top of the tank that necessitates the excruciating process of using full tank capacity.

After getting the tank out an siphoning out remaining fuel, I used a ball tip carbide bit on the grinder and ground a vent hole in the collar around the vent opening. I "vacuumed" the metal filings from the tank with a magnet, and left a couple of magnets stuck to the bottom of the tank to catch any that I missed.

The last 6 gallons now go in as fast as the first, except for the last gallon to fill the filler neck, and there have been no problems with intakefilter clogging with filings, when I dropped the tank (again) last year after several thousand miles. I removed the magnets, cleaned off the few accumulated filings, and replaced them in the tank.

It was a lot of work, but ultimately worth it.

John Tarr
oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #15

Sounds like a good fix. Thanks for the write-up!

I suspect my tank could have been fixed that way too (assuming it also had a metal collar that could just be punctured like yours) rather than plumbing in a 2nd breather hose.

Somehow I've been suspicious that my mechanic wasn't as careful with metal filings as you were, and that's why my fuel pump died in the middle of nowhere some months later.

-- Geoff