Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Some ProMaster build ideas---

First, the beds. I want twin beds, each 30X80 (split Queen) with a space to walk between them. The size is fixed because what I want are adjustable beds, with real mattresses. I can't sleep flat and have no intention of dragging a bed across the country unless it's a decent bed! So, is there enough width inside the ProMaster? The Sportsmobile build page lists 72" inside width. Is that after they add insulated wall panels?
If so, that would leave a 12" space for feet to scoot out.
Anyone know if this makes sense or is it just to tight of a space?

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

The SMB comparisons page shows interior width of a Promaster at 73" in multiple places, but that may well be before any insulation is applied.

As you are interested in a Promaster, I assume you have no interest in offload. I don't know if you have length restrictions or not. Below is a PleasureWay Plateau XLTD which matches the configuration you want. Other than the SMB Econoline Classic, it is the shortest Class B+/C- motorhome that I know of which is currently in production (previous units have been shorter) at 22' 9" (same as the EB Sprinter). By using the Sprinter cutaway, they have widened the cabin and utilized the dimensions you are looking for in bed layout.

Be advised before you look, however, this thing ain't cheap.

http://pleasureway.com/wp-content/up...DFloorplan.jpg

http://pleasureway.com/wp-content/up...LTD1%20(1).jpg
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Yeah Tom, we looked at and liked Pleasure-Way but a new one is way out of reach. And MB is out for me until they bring out a new gasoline engine, I'm just staying away from diesel in this age of regulation. I don't require 4X4, and want a fixed high roof, not crazy about the add-on fixed roof options, so without diesel the Promaster is the only game in town.
And, we did look at the Travato 59K, which has twin beds with a head incline, and that was what started me thinking Sportsmobile, as I believe that I could get more of what I want and a lot less of what I don't need----with hopefully better construction quality????????
Old 09-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Well, I can't get you two beds, but I do know of a way to get you the length you want. If you go with the longest Promaster (on which I think the sliding door would not reach the rearmost window panel) you could possibly insert two of the extra deep Flarespace window bumpouts. That should give you well over 80", but the bed would be transverse, elevated, and you would not be able to do two of them.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Actually, if you take a look at my latest floorpan diagram in my Terranaut build thread, you will see a bed like I just described, but 39" wide and a bed perpendicular to it that's 30" wide along the back of the driver's side. I know you prefer side by side, but this possibility does exist.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

It looks like you might have to use the shallower Flarespace on the passenger side and the deeper one on the driver side. So imagine the rear window cavities bumped out around 3" and 5 " respectively to give you about 81" crossways in the window space. The Promaster windows end some distance prior to the end of the van. You could fill that space with platform and oddly cut foam, or do something else with it. One bed is higher than normal and one bed lower than normal, but you can get two 80" x 30" beds in this thing. You can put smaller windows in the Flarespace bumpouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Promaster.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #7

Your 12" between side by side beds would look roughly like this:
Attached Thumbnails
095b.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Good photo, Tom, thanks. I had seen the two "dinette" with each at 30", which gave me the idea that I would rather have real beds than convertible dinettes, just a bit longer.
The photo looks like there would walking room, especially with a bit extra foot room under the beds on each side.
The Flarespace/sideways bed is a cool idea, but not for us.

Conversion Examples - Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans
Link is to Sportsmobile std. plan example PL DYO 60, which is a lot like what I had in mind anyway, just substituting real beds (adjustable real beds) for the dinettes or gauchos or whatever is shown there. I would give up the convertibility/dual use for better beds. If the front Captian's chairs swivel then we can eat up there, as any meals eaten in the van would be simple fare.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #9

Best of luck with your build!