Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #21

Re: Someone tried to steal my SMB last night.

Alright. I got the key in to the ignition and got it to turn to the ACC position. It will not turn far enough to crank the motor. Stuck a long allen wrench in the hole under the column to depress the little button but I still can't get the cylinder to slide out.

Any ideas?

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Alright. I got the key in to the ignition and got it to turn to the ACC position. It will not turn far enough to crank the motor. Stuck a long allen wrench in the hole under the column to depress the little button but I still can't get the cylinder to slide out.

Any ideas?
It need to hit the ON position (not start or ACC) to release the cylinder.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #23

Dang. Couldn't get it to rotate that far. I was afraid I was gonna break the key off in there.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Quote:
Alarms are useless here though. No one looks, no one cares,
:
Actually, an alarm might help, as most kill the starter circuit, making it impossible to get away while it's going off, and if they continue to try, it recycles and continues to kill the starter. In addition, most have a paging option that will let you know someone is messing with your ride. The motion detector on mine is pretty smart too. It give a pre-alarm if someone grabs the door handle, or somehow shakes the van, and a full alarm with any broken glass or jacked up door. Oddly though, big winds that rock the van don't set it off. I got mine installed for $199.00, cheap insurance.
Which brand of alarm system are we talking about here?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:

Any ideas?
Sounds like the key and tumblers are in working order and there is damage to the cylinder keeping it from rotating to the run position. I would disconnect the battery to eliminate the chance of deploying the air bag. insert the key , then insert a strong flat blade screwdriver beside the key for some added torque (twist) . If that fails you can drill out the tumblers then the cylinder will rotate to run position and then depress retaining pin and remove cylinder. You can also drive the retaining pin in as much as you can with small center punch or nail set then using a slide hammer (dent puller) inserted into the ignition cylinder with a COARSE screw " bump " out the cylinder. NOTE: this may cause damage to the column because the retaining pin isn't fully depressed . And lastly here is the FORD procedure ...........

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder - LOCK CYLINDER NON FUNCTIONAL

Removal

NOTE: The following procedure applies to vehicles in which the ignition lock is inoperative and the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken key, unknown key number, or a cap that has been damaged or broken to the extent that the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated.

Disconnect battery ground cable , then positive cable

Using channel lock or vise grip pliers, twist cap until it separates from the ignition switch lock cylinder.

Remove lower shroud as outlined in this section under shroud removal.

punch retaining pin and drill out with 1/8-inch bit. Do not drill deeper than 13mm (1/2 inch). Put a piece of masking tape 13mm (1/2 inch) from tip on bit. Take care not to damage housing.

Using a 3/8-inch diameter drill, drill down middle of ignition lock key slot approximately 44mm (1-3/4 inch) until ignition switch lock cylinder breaks loose from breakaway base of ignition switch lock cylinder. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder and drill shavings from lock cylinder housing.

Thoroughly clean all drill shavings and other foreign materials from lock cylinder housing.

Carefully inspect lock cylinder housing for damage from the above operation. If damage is apparent, lock cylinder housing must be replaced.

Installation

Replace lock cylinder housing, if damaged.

Install trim and electrical parts.

Install new ignition switch lock cylinder

Connect battery cables.

Check operation of lock cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
lock.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #26

Thank you JTV! Charging up the drill batteries right now.

I've got 9 days to get this fixed before I get a street cleaning ticket.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #27

Hi Greg, really sorry to read this thread and about the violation of your van. It is parked on a busy street, I see it when we head downtown. Very brazen of the thieves.

Our being just over the the other side of the hill from you, know it is not much better. Many cars are being rummaged through, no broken windows, but the glove box contents strewn all about. We have been speculating the thieves must have some type of "master" key or some trick of getting into the vehicles. The "key" you took a picture of - did the cops say anything about that at all?

We dropped a bunch of $$ having Ravelco theft deterrent systems put in both of our vans. I too would like the name of a really good alarm system to supplement the Ravelco since it really is only a "sophisticated" kill switch. Ridiculous situation. btw - are you on NextDoor?

Ray
Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #28

sorry to read this! I am now thinking for an security system.........
Maybe this helps?
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #29

Bummer. I was worried about the same thing happening when we're at a trailhead. Talked to my mechanic and the simple solution for the kill switch was from the starter. I have a 6.0L. On the relay, there's 3 wire posts. Large always hot from the battery, large hot only during start and small (maybe 10 gauge) that sends the voltage from the ignition during start. Easy access to all wiring once the protective cap is popped off. I installed a hidden switch to break the circuit on the small wire. Cheap and easy, just some 10 gauge wire and a toggle. Soldered my connections. I hope that helps. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #30

I use a big thick cable lock looped through the steering wheel and the grab handle. I then use a steering wheel cover which covers up most of the cable. Potential thieves would also have to carry heavy duty cutters. And they don't know what else is in the van that may deter them. Cut off switches, alarms, additional locks, etc. I put on a locking gas cap the first week I owned the van.

Its not completely safe but I want to make it more difficult for them to steal the van and/or its contents. I also keep a large metal box secured to the seat mounts for securing smaller items like electronic gadgets.

They're are sucky people out there ..

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote