Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
evy

Spare tire rack question, help!

Hi everyone!

I had an idea but I need your input.

I'm planning on installing my spare tire on the drivers side back cargo door on these more affordable racks.

My question is : can I buy two of them and install one on each door? One would have the spare tire and the other would have a 24"Wx24"Hx12"D box bolted on it.
Looking at the picture they seem to be symmetrical.

Please let me know what you think!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #2

Re: Spare tire rack question, help!

If you put one on your passenger door you may have to modify it to fit due to the door handle location. Also, you will have to remount your license plate that you cover up, and whatever you put ON the rack will restrict rear door handle access. That said, I'm doing the same with with two homemade ones right now and working around these issues.

If I were you I would order one first and see how it's going to work around your door handle.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
If I were you I would order one first and see how it's going to work around your door handle.
Ya that's probably the safest way to do it.

If it fits on the passenger side just by flipping it, ok I would add a license plate rack/light on the boxe's door but for the handle issue, would it be worth all the fuss? Or just accept that the rear doors can only be opened from the inside? In some way it could prevent theft??
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

Where did you source that rack? I would love to do one of those so I can do the underfloor storage.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train
Where did you source that rack? I would love to do one of those so I can do the underfloor storage.
For 92-12 Ford Econoline

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Spare-Carr ... B009V3V7S6