Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #1

Speaking of things spinning off.....

I just read Greggde's post about his grey water T-handle spinning off and going MIA somewhere down the road and thought I would post another "check it" item.

This weekend, somewhere along the long washboard, the two bolts holding the latch on my tire carrier went missing. For those of you with the aluminess rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier on one side and the "box" of some sort (jerry can/camp box, etc) on the other, you might want to check the two little bolts that hold the latch in place. If you look underneath right by where you put your finger to release the latch you will/should see two hex bolts with washers. Thankfully the whole kit and kaboodle didn't go bouncing down the road with my tire flailing wildly behind.

When I went to pull out the bolts from the other side (so I can go into Home Depot and get replacements) they were loose too!

So, take your allen wrench set out to your rig and give'em a twist. Or, be like me and back them out and throw some locktite on them before you put them back in.

Hope this helps.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Re: Speaking of things spinning off.....

Bryan is absolutely correct about these bolts working themselves loose ! This is now part of my monthly check list . I have employed the use of a Clip Pin Clevis as a preventive measure in the event that fasteners fail , plus a little Loctite . Photo of Clip pin on page 14 , in my gallery
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Same here, they will come loose and deserve a look now and then as well as the hinge lock nuts themselves. If the hinge bolts work their way our...yikes. Probably won't happen but worth a look.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #4

Something that has saved my Bacon a time or two over the years is to put a Dollop of Sealastic GE Silicone or better yet , any of the Goop products on the bolt , Nut or Screw that might work itself loose . This will prevent the part from being lost and both materials will peel off nicely if necessary .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

I checked the hinge nuts and bolts as I was locktite-ing in my new replacement bolts for the latches and noticed that in addition to being what appeared to be nylon lock washers, the hinges use a thru-bolt with the nut on the bottom so that (hopefully) if the nut backs out and falls off at least the hinge bolt will stay in place. Although on some of the washboards we've been on lately I think anything can rattle free. I'm seriously starting to consider the Deaver upgrade...
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote