Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #1

Sportsmobile gaucho bed question

I was wondering how the sportsmobile gaucho bed works. I've never seen a sportsmobile one in operation from opening to a bed and folding back to a couch. Does the back rest of the couch rotate around and become the front part of the bed towards the center of the van or does the bottom seat part slide towards the middle of the van and the top part drops down along the van wall? Could anyone post a picture or do a video for me if it's not too much issue?

Thank you
Chris

Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

The latter. The bottom slides forward in a U-channel on either side and the back drops down, at least on the sideways mounted couches. On some newer SMB's they added in drawer slides for the bottom instead of the U-channel but it wasn't an improvement IMO.

On the '50' style couches facing forwards, at least some of them have a hinge like most VWs, futons, etc. where you pull the bottom up and towards you and the back scoops down in an arc and drops into place.

I don't have one to show you at the moment but someone probably does.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Yeah, they do them either way.

If the couch is against the wall they have the back flip over and in front to extend the bed.

If the couch has free space behind it (generally "50" style) the bottom pulls out and the back folds back flat.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

I wonder if it depends on the year, or the build location? I have had 2 sideways facing "Gauchos" and both of them were OP's former, the back rest sits on top of the bottom cushion then rotates up and over and lands in the middle of the van.

Here is a pic of my current Gaucho:

As you can see the back cushion sits on top of the bottom cushion and that black metal you see is the hinge that allows the back cushion to rotate in an arcing path up, over and back down so that it sits in between the bottom cushion and my fridge.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
I wonder if it depends on the year, or the build location? I have had 2 sideways facing "Gauchos" and both of them were OP's former, the back rest sits on top of the bottom cushion then rotates up and over and lands in the middle of the van.

Here is a pic of my current Gaucho:

As you can see the back cushion sits on top of the bottom cushion and that black metal you see is the hinge that allows the back cushion to rotate in an arcing path up, over and back down so that it sits in between the bottom cushion and my fridge.
I've had both types. My 1997 with the single side couch was the flip over type and my 2003 with the two couches in the back is the slide out style. I prefer the latter.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Wow, I stand corrected. I've never noticed the flip-over style in an SMB. I figured they were all like the ones I've seen.

This should be a good reminder that all 3 locations do certain things differently though. There are often subtle differences in similar SMBs.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

Here is a demonstration of a DIY "flip-over style" hinge mechanism .
I imagine this functions similarly to the SMB unit .

Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Great just what I was looking for guys. I may try to build one myself. I'll see how that works out for me. North doesn't want to make the gaucho bed "custom" for me. By custom it's making the bed from 42" to 48" wide when in bed position. Texas can do it but they are too busy to take on just a gaucho bed install. They said if I was to do more work or a full build out they would do it but just the gaucho bed isn't enough for them to do right now. Too busy. So if I want the 76"x48" gaucho for along the driver side I have to fab something myself. Now if only time was on my side.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote