Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Really?? Consider me subscribed. I think the atlas transfer case, dynatrac60 front axle, locking hubs, lockers, etc that many of us have as part of the SMB conversion as overkill but not until you need it.

Would you take a Sprinter into the Maze or over Imogene Pass? Clearance and breaking something is what scares me. And they appear to be quite a bit more top heavy to me but not having ever been in one I have no idea.

Alpine Loop, Ophir, Bolam, Stony, no problem. Imogene, no problem other than height possibly. I am not terribly familiar with the Maze, so I can't comment. But Beef Basin, the Abajo's, Ruin Park, no problem at all.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer View Post
Alpine Loop, Ophir, Bolam, Stony, no problem. Imogene, no problem other than height possibly. I am not terribly familiar with the Maze, so I can't comment. But Beef Basin, the Abajo's, Ruin Park, no problem at all.
Awesome!

I still wonder about clearance. 8" or so with a 4" lift? And no option for locking differentials with the torque fixed between front and rear at 35/65% is what gives me pause. Especially when it's a fully decked out camper van weighing in at 2 tons. How are those components like the conventional truck axle on it going to hold up?

There's one in town that just had a SMB top put on and it sure looks badA$$.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer View Post
I have a few hundred miles of 4x4 roads now under my belt. Having had a 2008 4x4 SMB, and just coming from a Earthroamer. I am quite familiar with putting large vehicles in tough places.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the Sprinter out on 100 + miles of high desert 4x4 roads in Northern NM. We were in DEEP mud for at least 50 miles of the excursion. Some of it axle deep. The Sprinter performed flawlessly, didn't even have to put it in low. There wasn't another truck, van, or jeep in sight the entire trip.

When I got back to the pavement, I stopped to check out the amount of mud left on the van. A guy with a lifted RAM stopped and asked where I had just come from, when I told him, he shook his head and said he didn't think anything could get through that much mud.

I don't have pics, because quite honestly I was afraid to stop and not get started again. So far so good with the 4x4 Sprinter. As Spring and Summer come around, I'll be able to take the van on some of our regular routes, and get a better idea of the Sprinters capabilities compared to the Ford. I am guessing 90-95% of what the Ford would do, the Sprinter will do, if you are willing to try.

I did add the Method wheels and larger BF Goodrich AT KO2's.
I can't wait!! I know Sporty will need replacing some day and the 4x4 Sprinter is the obvious choice, AND with more on the Forum, and more experiences and pics (understand the both hands on the wheel and go, go , go). The withdrawals of no more Econolines won't be such a bad thing after all? looking forward to your adventures!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #14

4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine just published their 2016 4x4 of the year article in their May issue. To my surprise, a 4x4 Sprinter was part of the test. Anyone considering one of these rigs as an off-roader needs to read this article. To quote part of one paragraph "The biggest disappointment was the transfer case, which does not lock the center differential in 4-Lo. Instead, it offers only a 35 percent front and 65 percent rear split, and the low range is a paltry 1.4:1. In several situations progress was halted due to the front or rear axle not receiving power. This seriously hampered the Sprinter's low-speed technical trail performance, and on top of that the traction control often stepped in when it shouldn't have."

Doesn't sound like something I would trust to drive on anything but pavement.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #15

Garage
Sprinter is definitely not a rock crawling machine but does the job well as long as all four wheels stay on the ground and the long low-range ratio doesn't stop it in some steep hill. Driving forest roads won't be a problem as long as these are maintainded roads. But as soon as a wheel gets of the ground, you won't go much further...
Make a search and take a look on youtube, you'll note it. ;-)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #16

Garage
imho, the driver is more important than the vehicle. in most instances, a good driver can get an unprepared vehicle further than a inexperienced driver can get fully equipped vehicle.

a really fast racer once told a group of us that this equation fit with most vehicles and i find myself repeating it often...

Quote:
90% driver, 5% tires, 5% vehicle.
knowing your limits is also great advice, but following that sometimes robs you of experience.

places weve taken our civic has left more than one 4x4 owner scratching their head on how the hell that stupid little car got to where it was thankfully, weve yet to need their assistance getting said stupid car OUT of where they saw us, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine just published their 2016 4x4 of the year article in their May issue. To my surprise, a 4x4 Sprinter was part of the test. Anyone considering one of these rigs as an off-roader needs to read this article. To quote part of one paragraph "The biggest disappointment was the transfer case, which does not lock the center differential in 4-Lo. Instead, it offers only a 35 percent front and 65 percent rear split, and the low range is a paltry 1.4:1. In several situations progress was halted due to the front or rear axle not receiving power. This seriously hampered the Sprinter's low-speed technical trail performance, and on top of that the traction control often stepped in when it shouldn't have."

Doesn't sound like something I would trust to drive on anything but pavement.

I will be happy to continue to give everyone updates on the Van's capabilities. We have already taken it places where we have seen other 4x4's stuck on the trail while we pass by. I have to say this is one of the best snow vehicles I have ever driven. From 2 + feet of unplowed snow, to hard packed snowy roads, the Sprinter is fantastic.

I also own a AEV Brute and a Toyota Landcruiser, so I know the other end of off road capabilities. This Sprinter will get used, and probably stuck, but it sure will be fun learning what it can and can't do.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Really?? Consider me subscribed. I think the atlas transfer case, dynatrac60 front axle, locking hubs, lockers, etc that many of us have as part of the SMB conversion as overkill but not until you need it.

Would you take a Sprinter into the Maze or over Imogene Pass? Clearance and breaking something is what scares me. And they appear to be quite a bit more top heavy to me but not having ever been in one I have no idea.
Will a hi-top Sprinter fit through the tunnel at the top of Imogene, or under the shelf on Ouray side?

Last time I did that was in a 4Runner from the Ouray side and felt pretty close to the overhead rocks and that was part of the reasoning that lead me to stick with the Ford E Series on the trail.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #19

Garage
I've already seen pictures of high top vans on the top of Imogene pass, so it should be possible..?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
Will a hi-top Sprinter fit through the tunnel at the top of Imogene, or under the shelf on Ouray side?

Last time I did that was in a 4Runner from the Ouray side and felt pretty close to the overhead rocks and that was part of the reasoning that lead me to stick with the Ford E Series on the trail.
I like to drive a couple of trails near Ouray. One, if I recall correctly, is called the Last Dollar. Most of it you could do in a Civic, but there are always a few parts that are tougher. I am guessing the Sprinter would be fine there. There is another trail right out of Ouray. I have forgotten the name. Most of it is pretty easy, but there is an overhang at one point, and a pretty rocky finish up to a beautiful meadow/creek. Anyone know this one? I wonder how the Sprinter would do on it.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote