Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Steering - Van wants to keep turning

Just returned from a trip to Baja, with about 650 miles of driving, 80 of which were off road. I drove the van around town for the first time, and I notice now that when I turn, the van wants to keep turning, especially at higher speeds. On Santiago Canyon Road, which is a semi-twisty two lane road, with a 55mph speed limit, when I turned the van, I could let go of the steering wheel, and it would keep the arc I put it on.

When I then straighten the steering wheel, there was definitely some resistance to bring it back to center. The van is very difficult to drive now. I had just rotated the tires, and the fronts wore very unevenly, with the inside wearing to a point that I visually noticed it, just after this short trip.

Any ideas where to start, other than an alignment? Does anyone think it is more than that?

BTW, 2001 E350 EB with pop top, Quigley 4x4 with Agile RIP kit.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Sounds like a control arm or linkage is bent.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

X2. No return to center means your caster is WAY off, and I can't see any way for that to get knocked out of place without bending torque arm or two, unless your ball joints were installed with adjustable sleeves. I have heard of those spinning when used on heavy rigs.