Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

Still learning...

While coming back home from a trip last month, I began having starting problems with our V-10. It would start immediately in the morning when cold but, after stopping for 10-15 minutes later in the day, it would take 10-15 seconds to get the engine started again even though the starter battery was in excellent condition. It would finally start each time but it got me worried that it might not start one of those times. We had this problem for several days.

We I got home, I talked to the Service Manager at our local Ford dealer about it, wondering if it might have been caused by a dirty fuel filter or maybe it was time to replace the spark plugs (we have about 85,000 miles on the van now). It was his opinion that I got some bad gasoline. Even though it might save a few bucks to buy gas at the cut-rate places, we always use Shell gas or one of the other major brands. But the Service Manager still felt that it could be the gas, maybe due to the service station tanks getting low or just getting refilled and the gas was still stirred up. I had filled up twice again after the problem started but the problem stopped after the second fill-up. It hasn't occurred since so it sounds like that might have been the problem. Just a heads up.

The second problem, in hindsight, shouldn't have been a problem at all but we've never run into it before. I turned on the hot water heater one morning and then shut it down when we were finished cleaning up. It had worked fine. That afternoon around dinner time, I turned it on again but it wouldn't fire up. The propane was on and nothing looked wrong. We turned on the propane heater and it worked fine. Each time I tried to turn on the water heater, the red "pilot" light would come on at the switch and turn off as the water heater started to turn on, but then would come back on when the water heater didn't turn on. After trying a half-dozen times in a row, I finally gave up.

We discovered the problem a little while later while washing the dishes...the water in the water heater tank was still hot, preventing the water heater from turning on! In all of the years using the hot water heater, we've never had the water stay hot enough during the day to prevent the heater from turning on later. Live and learn!

BTW, in talking to the Ford Service Manager, I mentioned that I'm not looking forward to having the spark plugs replaced due to the spark plug problems with the V-10s (which was finally fixed with the 2005 models). Basically, owners were having problems with spark plugs being blown out due to (I think) insufficient thickness in the heads, hence insufficient threads. The Service Manager told me that they have a method of replacing the plugs which bypasses these problems...I would assume that it involves taking a lot of time to carefully remove the old plugs and properly installing the new plugs. I'm hoping that it works when the time comes.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #2

Re: Still learning...

Actually the spark plug problem was pretty much fixed in 2000 when the threads were increased from 4 to 8 threads.

Plugs don't need changing until 100,000 miles or 95,000 for severe use.

The "method" to prevent plug issues after changing them is to tighten them to the specified torque with a torque wrench, and NOT using anti-sieze. Basically following Ford's instructions. But that is usually not done. I even skipped the torque wrench for my first two plug changes. I recently did my 3rd set (at 255,000) and did it right this time. Mine don't last as long (only about 65,000) because of my Predator tuner and very severe use.

At plug change time, I recommend changing the coil boots, and using dielectric grease. Then will help keep water out of the coil pack (such as when hitting a deep puddle too fast), as water+coil pack = dead coil pack.