Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #11

Excellent news!

I know others have shared thoughts before as well on prevention/detection, but I have an Optimus 2.0 Tracker that is relatively cheap ($50 for the unit then $20/month, canceleable anytime) and provides me more comfort when I'm traveling with my rig. I can also use it in other vehicles, etc as well. I think well worth it.

I also bought a Ravelco unit but have been too lazy to install. Will need to make that a project for this winter.

wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #12

YES! I'm so happy for the owner. I wonder what the story is on the recovery?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #13

Garage
I haven't seen a recovery story artictraveller but I'll share if I see one. Just happy a fellow 4x4 van owner and racer got his stuff back. That's not typically how these stories end as TomsBeast shared. So +1 for the good guys!

Thanks wish41 on the prevention/detection options. I've implemented a few tricks on mine. This incident has me thinking about adding more "features"... Remote controlled 12v relays, hmmmm..

LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

So many vans being stolen lately I taken to blocking my vans in at night with my truck. That won't help when I'm on the road, but every little deterrent helps.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:05 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Good news on the recovery---would love to know how it was discovered etc etc.

This sort of thing reminds us an alarm while hardly the one and only answer its something---it at least lets others know something isn't quite right.

Another good idea is some sort of hidden fuel cut-off switch might also slow thieves down just enough they abandon the squawking no-start van where it sits. With all the other failed component no-start things we face most any day something as simple as pulling the fuel pump under hood fuse might be enough to do the trick.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #16

Garage
PDX news story

https://www.koin.com/local/multnomah...otel-near-pdx/

Owners post regarding it's recovery:

"My van, trailer and car has been found and retrieved, somewhat worse for wear. thieves could have done real damage, but they are thieves after all and stay in the shallow end of the gene pool. Some cosmetic damage, but "lucky" as I am now calling her will be back on the track come Spring."

Below is an excerpt from Armadillo Racing's email newsletter:

"This past weekend, SOVREN racer Brad Shinn had his tow van, trailer and race car stolen from the hotel parking lot near the Portland airport. Here are the Details -

The Van, trailer and race car was taken from the Aloft Portland Cascade Station early Saturday morning---which is near the Portland airport and the IKEA. It did not have any GPS units aboard.

Here is the big take away from this incident. Thieves steal more racing stuff from hotel parking lots than anywhere else. Do not leave anything of value in your car/tow rig at the hotel. At least 3 times a year, a racer tells me how their safety gear including HANS and helmet was stolen from their car/truck. On the trailer, get an alarm system or one of those wheel locks. Just go do it now so you won't have to worry about getting ripped of. Be proactive, it happens. I've had the Armadillo Trailer broken into twice and now have secure locks and an alarm system. Protect yourself and your valuable racing stuff."

Theft announcement was also posted on the MGExp forum and someone added this...

"I use tracker tiles in all my cars. If the vehicle moves out of range it alerts you. Its Bluetooth and many many millions of users are part of the network. If the vehicle in which the tile or tiles are hidden passes by a member on the app it will send you a phone notification where it was spotted https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/store/tiles/pro"

Like JWA mentioned, doesn't take much to disable a few key components and increase the time & effort required to steal.

LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I like the idea of the GPS tracker devices especially if it can be networked across a region of peers---would certainly make it "easier" to find if stolen.

And yes on slowing the thieves down any way possible would be or should be a goal. Even though car alarms are so common these days and most tend to ignore them when they alert its another wrinkle that could scare the crooks away.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote