Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #31

Campsite Occupied

We have a vinyl tablecloth with the words "Campsite Occupied, Thank you, -the Schindlers" printed in sharpie pen on one corner. Generally, we take all other possessions with us when driving away in our SMB, but when campsites have a table, the message cloth, affixed with tape or special clips, has so far held the site for us. I like the idea of Zombie cones, too!

Mount Branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #32

Garage
Perhaps a clothesline with some rough looking skivvies hanging on it.
I've taken to padlocking the electrical shut with my cord plugged in.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #33

LOL at the skivvies! It would probably work!
Mount Branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #34

Garage
Never had an issue...anywhere. BUT, have heard a lot of unfortunate stories from others, including this thread.
Bought two folding E-Bikes so normally we wouldn't have to tear down camp once set-up. We usually leave out a few inexpensive items, recently though (to help guard our area) we attach a Vibration alarm to something a thief may go after. It has yet been "tested" by any untrustworthy type...but we've tried it at home and it works great so I can only assume it would scare the hell out of an unsuspecting thief.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2ffa331aebbabe

If we have neighbors, we make it a practice to get to know them...99.9% of individuals out enjoying Nature are good people - and gladly participate in the "look out for each other" concept
Old 08-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #35

Hang a sign that reads,

Went for more ammo - Be back soon
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #36

A friend suggested some caution tape and the orange cone thing. Not worth anything, and looks kind of official.

I usually went with the chair to show site was occupied...until someone stole the chair. Sigh.

I use a sign and a water container at times now, but I think I might do the caution tape thing next. Rather depressing, no?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #37

We leave a couple of folding chairs at camp site with a light weight chain and padlock securing them. Easy to cut but most thieves don't carry such equipment with them.
dave0718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #38

I always put an old tablecloth on the picnic table with a couple gallon jugs of water. It seems to work so far, no one has stolen my site or made off with my holey tablecloth!
SportyGma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #39

I guess I have the best of both worlds.

I have a 22 foot travel trailer which I tow with a semi capable off road full size van. We do daily excursions in the van with an ice chest for food and drinks plus a porta pottie.

We have had a camera stolen once at an RV park.

I'm so paranoid, my spare tire and surge suppressor are both chained with padlocks to the frame of the trailer. It will stop the casual thief.

One RVer I spoke to had his generator stolen. Yes, it was probably a bad decision to leave it unattended.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #40

Probably no way to prevent all gear and campsite thefts. Like others, we also use a collapsible cone chained and locked to the site when we drive away. Before that, we had a site in Grand Canyon NP taken and the squatters wouldn’t move. ��
We carry a couple of electric pedal-assist mountain bikes with us that let us leave the SMB parked at camp while we have fun exploring and getting exercise. Of course we also worry about someone cutting the bike locks and stealing those!
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote