Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Sway control questions

Are your tires D or E load rated? If D load rated, switching to the E rated tires will help to some extent.

Herb

Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #12

I took off the tires Ford put on the van, the Hankook E rated tires. I put on Bridgestone Revo 2 10 ply E rated tires and it did help to a certain extent. I ordered a Hellwig sway bar, hoping it will make up the difference.
ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #13

My van is a 2002 E-350 EB 7.3 diesel with rear Deavers. The Voyager top puts some more weight up high. I've had it about a year, and had some pretty heavy swaying oscillations after I first bought it. I added SuperTrack spacers, which, IMO, makes it look better and also helped the swaying issue a bit. Then I added a Hellwig rear sway bar, which took care of the sway issue. I would expect you'll be pretty happy with your choice.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #14

After owning many Ford Vans both 2 and 4 wheel drive I would start with the Rear Helwig Anti Sway Bar ! This is a very viable solution to your lateral instability , Springs would be number 2
and Shock's number 3 ,when dialed in with the previous 3 options I would have the front end alignment checked and adjusted as needed and then do the front stabilizer . On two different
E-350's that we have had your problem's with the Helwig was the single best option with the others in the order above .
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #15

After owning many Ford Vans both 2 and 4 wheel drive I would start with the Rear Helwig Anti Sway Bar ! This is a very viable solution to your lateral instability , Springs would be number 2
and Shock's number 3 ,when dialed in with the previous 3 options I would have the front end alignment checked and adjusted as needed and then do the front stabilizer . On two different
E-350's that we have had your problem's with the Helwig was the single best option with the others in the order above .
Greggde
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #16

I got that Moog steering stabilizer on my van yesterday. Took all the slop out of the steering. And that wheel bang/pop on a tight turn is gone! (The guys at SMB Indiana mentioned, "Do those Dodges still bang/pop on a tight turn?" during a recent service visit. "You betch'ya", I said). Anxious to see if towing the trailer this week will be a better experience.

This topic has me wanting the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar now. For my van, the best price I could find online was $203.23 including shipping from truckcomponentsonline.com. Anyone finding Hellwig parts at a decent price elsewhere?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #17

That actually sounds like a decent price ,usually they are about $250.00 plus .
They are also very easy to install .
Greggde
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
After owning many Ford Vans both 2 and 4 wheel drive I would start with the Rear Helwig Anti Sway Bar ! This is a very viable solution to your lateral instability , Springs would be number 2 and Shock's number 3 ,when dialed in with the previous 3 options I would have the front end alignment checked and adjusted as needed and then do the front stabilizer . On two different E-350's that we have had your problem's with the Helwig was the single best option with the others in the order above .
I have sway issues with my 2000 dodge extended van as well. There is sooo... much vehicle that hangs out beyond the rear axle. I definitely will follow the advice here and get a Rear Helwig Anti Sway Bar installed. Am going to keep the factory leaf springs for now, but would like to upgrade my shocks. I hear alot of comments about the bilstein shocks and am wondering what specific model you guys are running that might help with the death wobble issue. Also, what about going with a monroe shock - was eyeballing this Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Load Adjusting Shock. Just seems like the bilsteins cost more and wondering if it makes that big of a difference.
Many thanks,
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote