Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

The Ecoboost engine is a complete no-brainer.

The only problem with the Transit is that the medium roof is too short for the average height person and the high roof model is a terrible looking vehicle especially compared to a Sprinter IMO.

There is no sense spending all this money for a Class B RV that you can't even stand up in or have to skimp on flooring and ceiling options (air conditioning, insulation, space for wiring and plumbing, etc.) just so you only have to keep your head ducked down 2-3". The high roof design was obviously a complete afterthought.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #12

Talk me out of a Transit RB150?

Deserteagle, thanks for that info! Good stuff. The Transit forum folks are reporting mid to upper teens with average driving but that makes since given the aerodynamics of a van vs a pick up.

Jrobe, it's all about compromises with a camper van. Too tall and you'll get hung up on limbs and be limited to where you can go in cities. At 6'2" I really had no problem walking around the 6' interior mid-height Transit. I don't think most people stand at full height often. I read the same from another 6'4" guy who said he was fine with his mid height Transit camper build.
Just high enough to stand is all I want. Taller is less useful and less efficient.
I may be rationalizing my future purchase. Please don't rain on my parade.
[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Talk me out of a Transit RB150?

BTW, transits are also available with a factory authorized Quigley 4X4 system and CCV makes pop tops for them. Will see if my friend Bill (yelnam) can post up pics of his. Think it's a mid wheelbase, ecoboost, low roof w/CCV top, SMB interior and 4X4, not positive on platform, think it's the 250? Is it the 350 that comes with dual? Or is that based on wheelbase?
To OP-if SMB is comfortable building out on the transit 150, and the only difference is rear springs, see about swapping them out, otherwise, it sounds like it's been a great platform esp with that ecoboost

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50
Quigley 4X4
CCV top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #14

Rick, as far as I've learned 1,2 and 350s are single rear wheel and 350s can' be ordered as duals in the super long, super high platform. It's got the lousiest departure angle imaginable though so I doubt many SMB types would be interested in one of those.
They're HUGE!
There are only two wheelbases, 130" and 148" for all the mid and long ones, I think.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
The Ecoboost engine is a complete no-brainer.

The only problem with the Transit is that the medium roof is too short for the average height person and the high roof model is a terrible looking vehicle especially compared to a Sprinter IMO.

There is no sense spending all this money for a Class B RV that you can't even stand up in or have to skimp on flooring and ceiling options (air conditioning, insulation, space for wiring and plumbing, etc.) just so you only have to keep your head ducked down 2-3". The high roof design was obviously a complete afterthought.
tempted to go for a Transit with high roof..... other than looks does it have a downside?

thanks.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #16

Yep, they cost money.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #17
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
OK, here's a try to talk you out of it....how about saving a BUNCH of money with a 'gently' used Econoline 350 with low milage (with savings you could go wild on the extras)...have one of the great converters (Quadvan, U-Joint, SMB West, Quigley [Megametal too right?]to name a few) do the 4x4 and lift (if you want 4x) and then get design right...how bout that option? Just a thought...either way, you're a winner eh?!? Keep us posted!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #18

Update:
Thanks everyone! Our Transit SM is well underway. We went to SM last week to pick out finishes and options - very fun.

ctb- we closely considered that option. However, one of our goals is longevity, and another is reliability. Used e class SM were still very high in price, and we like the modern features of the Transit. We figured that a new SM would hold its value, and we can add a few extras in the future if we decide we want to. Really, though, the big issue was long term reliability. We are now Vanagon people, (86 weekender) and are done with the novelty of having to work to keep the van on the road so reliability is key and the Transit seems the best option.

We went with the 250 extended body and the eco boost engine. We likewise felt that ecoboost engine was a no-brainer. The replies on this post have been helpful and reassuring.

Looking forward to our pick-up day.

-SD
SoonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #19

You’re going to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
Update:
Thanks everyone! Our Transit SM is well underway. We went to SM last week to pick out finishes and options - very fun.

ctb- we closely considered that option. However, one of our goals is longevity, and another is reliability. Used e class SM were still very high in price, and we like the modern features of the Transit. We figured that a new SM would hold its value, and we can add a few extras in the future if we decide we want to. Really, though, the big issue was long term reliability. We are now Vanagon people, (86 weekender) and are done with the novelty of having to work to keep the van on the road so reliability is key and the Transit seems the best option.

We went with the 250 extended body and the eco boost engine. We likewise felt that ecoboost engine was a no-brainer. The replies on this post have been helpful and reassuring.

Looking forward to our pick-up day.

-SD
I KNOW exactly what you are saying...though we LOVE and LOVE the E350...we KNOW that the Transit/Sprinter will be our rig someday...cant wait to see the 'finished' product and the maiden voyage TRIP REPORT!!!!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote