Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #31
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Well, except that after all that he says he’d still do it.
True, good point, and i do remember reading that. My take away is this: “Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me.” But in all fairness, the guy also infered that if the job was not rushed, it likely would have turned out differently.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Well, except that after all that he says he’d still do it.
Seemed like the reasoning was more from a safety factor standpoint than anything else. I didn't realize the SMB penthouse top was that inferior or dangerous
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
... But in all fairness, the guy also infered that if the job was not rushed, it likely would have turned out differently.

Gar
True, but it was CCV that caused the rush after failing to meet the agreed upon timeline.

The instances of SMB quality control issues and CCV quality control issues, just show you that both small and large outfits can have problems. I'm willing to work with companies when I have problems with their product, but if there's a lack of support after that sale, that's when I get really pissed off.

Just like buying parts online. I can usually find a cheaper, similar parts online made in China, but if ever expect there to be support after the sale, I'll pay more for a US-based company that will provide a level of expectation for returns or exchanges if there's a problem.

Herb
Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #34

I think the main takeaway (on anything) but in particular with these two instances of sub-par work from both SMB and CCV is.. don't leave with your van if it's not done correctly.

It's a pain, but you're much better off getting a motel for a few days or flying home and coming back in a week or two than having to either go back, or try and have them compensate you for doing the work on your own.

Essentially, once you've paid the vendor for a half assed job, and they don't have your van anymore, you have a lot less leverage.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Seemed like the reasoning was more from a safety factor standpoint than anything else. I didn't realize the SMB penthouse top was that inferior or dangerous
SMB top is definitely inferior. CCV top is much stronger both up and down. And a lot bigger.

Not that the SMB top is bad (at least when properly installed!).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail View Post
“Would like some outside opinions.... How would you feel getting your van back like this?.....And how about the upholstery/trim job? Opinions appreciated.”

So what, are you saying....that the OP edited his first post and then added this language? If he didn’t, and this was the original post, it sure seems clear to me that he’s just asking for others’ opinions here, as to whether—as a person new to SMB builds—he’s being unreasonable in his expectations or not.

Isn’t asking for and getting that kind of feedback what this Forum is also about?

In any event, as a long time Forum member I’m embarrassed to see the rude, unwelcoming language you chose to use to a brand new member. I’d really have hoped that, once you “slept” on your comment and revisited it after cooling off, that you realize it was unnecessarily harsh. Instead you just doubled down on it.

Too much commentary following online news and opinion articles these days devolves so quickly into abusive responses....let’s try to do better than that here.

WELL said! I for one have been contemplating a penthouse, because I am not a big fan of the bubble having owned a 1973 Ford Bubble, and I just prefer the low profile. I have considered the Colorado company but they are all tooo expensive, and I am cheap, especially if the quality will be as such. I despise arrogance, and sometimes confidence can be misunderstood as such but on occasion I feel that SMB does come off a little too "confident" when I have spoken with them regarding a top install! I have considered this conversion since 2005 and have seen the price rise from $7000.00 to what it is today and honestly, a camper shell prices are $1700.00, how difficult is it to cut the top off the van with a plasma or cut off wheel mount and install the canvas, wire the motors and trim itI think $7000.00 was a fair price but $10,000.00 and to receive a finish product as such is unacceptable.
Several questions are in order. Traveling to have this done to their location and waiting the 2 days to have this done is already adding cost, fuel, hotel, food ect... To have them keep it longer when you come in for final inspection is again unacceptable even if he had brought it to their attention on pick up and did not have time to wait for repair. Why was this released without Q.C. I understand about the upholstery and tying it into existing trim but the fit and seal is my issue. I just may settle on bubble from Fiberine they are in my back yard! Thanks for this post it confirms my thoughts.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
I just may settle on bubble from Fiberine they are in my back yard! Thanks for this post it confirms my thoughts.
Bingo!!! I did a CCV top living in Tennessee. I had to go back once to have it fixed. I didn't count the cost but these days I would. No way I'd have them do a top UNLESS I lived right there or I was retired and also had a lot of money to waste.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #38

Terrible fitting penthouse top

Safari Condo in Quebec makes a very nice product from what I’ve seen. I recently checked with them and they will do a pop top from 7000-10000 CAD $$, depending which model (they have three). I believe they only do them on GMC/Chevy vans. Said it would take 2-3 days. With the Canadian dollar price against the US dollar, that’s not a bad deal.

It’s a shame they don’t have any US dealers. They will do a full conversion for US customers, but it’s “bring your own van” only due to export rules I guess.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Safari Condo in Quebec makes a very nice product from what I’ve seen.....
I agree. That may be the best deal going, especially if they can honor that 2-3 day turn around.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #40

Safari Condo in Quebec makes a very nice product from what I’ve seen. I recently checked with them they have three.

Yes I called to confirm. They do not do Frogs, I mean Fords.

Brian which style and manufacturer do you have and can we get inside pics?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad fit top