Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #281

Re: TGTBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Haven't been out with the van since July. Made me feel like I just went on vacation... great job as usual.
Yup, parked it and got back to work... just put it thru shop, this week, for oil/fuel filter/rotation and parked it again. I walk by it all day, everyday, gotta pay to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
from a recent outing.
hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
Was that a stop sign you blew through at about minute 30?
Mike
I'm busted, good catch! I would point out, yerhonor, we were on a lightly-populated, drowsy Lake Champlain island, and the on-coming visibility was clear, not a car in sight, plus, cameras seem to "speed up" action.

You should have seen the self-shot footage of me running the red light with cars sitting patiently as the big van driving dumb@ss rolled right on through chatting away, on-camera. This was in 2011 shortly after I got the van. I can't post because the chatter declines into a self-inflicted cussout... I think it went away with the last "smoked" iMac... I hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
Amazingly Marc almost made it through the whole video wearing sleeves but at the last second the sleeveless tee made and appearance.
Bro, it is cold in New England compared to here, I had on two shirts in the mornings... ran the furnace in the van for morning chill. What a great place to be in the summer!

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #282

Thanks to the both of you for another wonderful video. I just finally had long enough to sit and watch it. Really dig y'alls spirit of adventure!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #283

a little Thanksgiving trip report...

We had a good excuse to drive 2400 miles roundtrip for some turkey in Massachusetts... a client ordered a bed to be delivered just 3.5 hours from the turkey. I normally would not drive 3.5 hours for some turkey, much less 2400 miles, but Sportsmobiles create unusual circumstances. Of course, y'all already knew that

Then, this started happening...
*we'renotinMississippianymore,Toto*

and then it started gettin' a little deep, and my education on SMBcamping in heavy snow began
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 1.JPG  
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #284

the "turkey leg" of the trip went as planned...

and we had to head on back South

next holiday...
*notcertainthisloadisgonnamakeit*
Attached Thumbnails
photo 2.JPG   photo 4.JPG   photo 5.JPG  
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #285

Here's to you and yours!
Attached Thumbnails
photo 3.JPG  
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #286
Site Team

Strange cloth-like things covering your arms. What's up with that?

Looks like you had another great adventure.

Herb
Old 10-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #287

Marc asked me to chime in so I am. This will be pic heavy and it's about the slow but sure rehab and upgrades on his 95 PSD Sportsmobile. He contacted me after my second or third rehab of Rusty and told me his conundrum. No one wants to make or sell ANYONE an SMB canvas. It's strange. You think they'd jump at the chance but none of the 3 locations were excited to do it. They told Marc NO and I followed up after Nancy at SMB North had done me a couple of other favors in the last few years. She is great and helpful but for some reason not really interested in making or selling replacement canvas. I really didn't get the feeling she would even want to if we brought her the van.
My next question was, can you do it in any color other than tan? "Well, we could do black I guess but no one would want that!" Well actually, Nancy, that's EXACTLY what we want! She reluctantly agreed and in a few weeks I had it. It's beautiful, 6 window, photographer's package with full zipouts on the front 3, and any new canvas compared to a 21 year old one looks fabulous. Here goes:

Marc wanted: New canvas installed, new ceiling panels, roof vent (went with Maxxair and I won't go back), Raptor line the roof, new solar system with 200 watts on a new aluminum rack, all stainless hardware including Gooseberry's awesome roof hardware, air compressor system, Blue Sky MPPT controller, new propane/CO2 detector and water inlet, and last but not least a full makeover of the original Quigley gearing with 4:10 limited slip front and rear up from 3:53 or something absolutely horrible for a 7.3. Why, PO, why?

So, Marc already had an amazing SMB but the top was in bad need up love:

I tore into it expecting to see about what I saw on my 95, same age as his, and I wasn't surprised. Keep in mind, Marc is the second owner of his van and it is all around in phenomenal shape with NO chassis or body rust, but here's what 20+ penthouses look like under the skin.

OK, I jumped the gun. Rigging up a jig to lift the top off his huge behemoth was pretty fun. This sketchy wood structure will be metal if I do this again

And the ship has left the harbor:

More to come

Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #288

So, to all you meticulous SMB owners who think your vans are all pretty underneath? Bad news. I bet much newer SMBs which have been used for their intended purpose look just like this underneath. SMB's supposed stainless hardware just isn't, and water and dirt DO get under the edges.

This is after just a little cleanup and already looking a lot better, but the original furring strips, hardware, staples and the like were toast. You would think this van was leaking badly but actually not at all. I was happy to find NO ugly cut metal like Boywonder's and others findings. All corners looked good, no cracks and no rust on the body.

Now time to drop the top (as in all the way to the floor) and get it in shape. At about this point I drove the big convertible across town to Rob's Offroad (shameless plug for a great mechanic in my town who I with I had met long ago) for some new internals. He had it about a week, just long enough for me to do the top.

Mostly what I did during this time was admire Marc's one-off, unbelievable rear bumper. It's a thing of beauty, from every angle.

More to come

Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #289

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #290

Nice!

Maybe I should be next.. I want a walk-through not a 50!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote