Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

the coating on hoop steps is chipping

The black coating on my Carr hoop steps (2008) has chipped almost all the way off (very cleanly). I'm not sure what the metal is, but it's an aluminum color, with no rust. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do? I want to get them back into good shape, plus looking great. Can I seal and paint them? Should they be power-coated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Edie

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #2

Re: the coating on hoop steps is chipping

If you can live with them in the 'silver' color, I would chip all the paint off and leave them that way. I believe the material is aluminum alloy, and it will be fine without protection. The polished Carr Hoop steps are unfinished aluminum.

If you can't deal with that and want black, a powder coat is your best bet. However, the black steps were originally powder coated, so unless you get a stronger finish, it won't last any longer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Garage

You CAN send them to a metal plater to strip them and have them anodized, but eventually anything will wear off in that application.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Yes, this happened to my 2008 Carr hoop steps as well. I was chalking it up to the fact that I live on a dirt road and they are frequently caked in mud or mud AND salt. I was kinda surprised it happened so fast. I would be more upset but, truth is I've got new running boards on order anyhow because, while the hoop steps look cool, my father, who I camp with often, is having troubles navigating them. (he had knee replacement surgery a couple years ago. he's in great shape but, has to hunker down on the floor and then step carefully out on the step each time he gets out.) Running boards wont be as cool looking but, he's my main camping buddy.

Now, I will say in the meantime I just grabbed a can of 'powder coat' like flat black rustoleum and painted 'em. They look great. If I was going to keep them, I'd probably just keep doing that.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Edie ,
A very durable finish can be had with Dupli-Colors Truck Bed Coating in the aerosol can ,
Available at most large auto parts stores . I have been using it on the rear deck top of my Aluminess Bumper with great success for the last three years . The nice thing about this coating is that it is easy to apply and touch up if needed ! I also use it for my wheel wells when they become pitted or stained with oxide laced mud . www.duplicolor.com
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I stripped mine with a wire wheel and sprayed them black. I like the idea of the bedliner stuff though. Durable, easy to touch up and will give it a no slip surface.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #7

This forum really is great! Thank you Mike, Jeffrey, MikewTV, Greggd, and REF for your input. I had no idea what to do. I'm going to check out both the Dupli-Colors Truck Bed Coatings and the bedliner coatings this week. I like the idea of a "no-slip," also. I'm getting Alice well prepared, inside and out, for whatever new adventures may be coming up. The steps look awful right now, but that will all change soon!

Thanks to you all again for taking the time to help me out.

Happy and safe trails to everyone!

Edie
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

Edie ,
Be sure to post before and after photos so we can se your handiwork .
Greggd
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #9

Well, it finally stopped raining here enough to take care of the hoop steps...

I went to the local Napa store and got some good advice from their paint "expert." I followed his recommendation, and I believe everything turned out very well! ( pics to follow ). Basically, this is what I did....

1. Peeled, scraped, sanded, and cleaned steps. The black coating came off very easily. The steps were very corroded with white powdery "stuff." ( Anodized aluminum ).

2. Brushed on POR 15 Rust Preventive Paint. The guy said "this will stick to anything!" Actually, you can put it directly over rust. It doesn't have UV protection, so....

3. Next and last, I brushed on a black Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating, which does have UV protection. This dried VERY fast! I'm pleased with the results, and do believe, and hope, this will last quite awhile. I'll let you know if it doesn't!

I hope this is helpful to those who may get the same problem.

Safe and happy trails to all. I sure enjoy reading about, and viewing pics of everyone's adventures.....many thanks!

Edie

The first photo shows the ugly steps, with very little coating left after 3 years. The second pic is after putting on the POR 15. It was pretty glossy. The last shows the finished product. ))

Before:

middle:

after:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #10

Edie ,
Looks great very professional ! Be sure to allow the DupiColor to cure/dry well for about 48 hours before subjecting your steps to a lot of use . It will give the plasticizer a chance to harden . The nice thing about this product is that it is easy to touch up , if and when you may need to do so .
Greggd