Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #11

Re: The most stealthy van choice for a very extended stay in

My dodge has a GVW of 7200 lbs and he said that was commercial, 1/2 ton pickups with car plates can drive on the parkways as can 1/2 ton vans, father in law had 2500 series gmc window van and was never stopped but had car plates.

2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

Based on today's events, I would go with one of these:
Attached Thumbnails
pc1b_artcar_boat_van.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

This is a pretty cool idea. I'm looking at possibly doing the same thing in the bay area for a few months.

A few things come to mind:

I've spent some time owning a car NYC and it's a hassle in the sense that it seems like the City prefers people to not own cars, I say this because things that wouldn't be issues in other cities are ticketable/towable offenses. But you'll soon learn the system. Even if you were to get towed or ticketed once a month or even week, it'd still be cheaper than renting a room.

There are certain regulations regarding commercial vehicles, so if you want it to look like a legit work van I think you'll need a company name, address (full iirc), and maybe a license number.

Graffiti, I can almost guarantee that you'll get a bunch on your van. personally I think a graffitied van looks cool. To each their own. A clean van will stick out like a sore thumb in some neighborhoods, maybe all if you're street parking. A functional benefit of the graffiti is that it will look super legit and most people won't think you're carrying anything very expensive, i.e. worth stealing. That said you can count on getting broken into at least once. People looking for change or whatever, I'm sure there is a way to combat that though.

Parking. Next to impossible in some areas. I lived in Williamsburg (BK) but spent more time in Woodside (QNS). Woodside is very parkable and there's an express train (7) to Midtown that arrives at grand central station in 20 min. The trick is to find and secure parking between morning and afternoon rush hours while people are at work. otherwise parking fills up fast and can take a couple hours to find a spot after evening rush hour.

I 'd love to hear how this is working out for you. Best of Luck!
seles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
Actually, it's legal to live in an RV on the streets in NYC.
Unfortunately, it's NOT legal, at least not for more than 24 hours. I double checked it before I bought my SMB.

NYC has a rule that states Mobile Homes cannot be parked on a public street for more than 24 hours. You CAN get a summons for it and I think the fine is about $90 per summons.

Section 4-08(m)8 of NYC Traffic Rules : "Street storage of boat trailers, mobile homes and mobile medical diagnostic vehicles prohibited. No person shall park any boat trailer (with or without a boat attached), mobile home or mobile medical diagnostic vehicle in any area, on any street, in excess of 24 hours."

Page 45:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trafrule.pdf

However, if your van is registered as a regular passenger vehicle, then you're just subject to regular parking rules.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

If you go the stealth work van route stencil the words on each entrance. " no tools on board " and maybe also "driver carries no cash "
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
However, if your van is registered as a regular passenger vehicle, then you're just subject to regular parking rules.
Exactly. I should have said that.

At the same time, I know plenty of people who move once a day and never get hassled, including some who probably should get hassled.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #17

The most stealthy van choice for a very extended stay in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
If you go the stealth work van route stencil the words on each entrance. " no tools on board " and maybe also "driver carries no cash "
I like 'Driver carries no cash, I spent it all on guns'

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #18

ive driven my savana cargo in and around nyc from time to time...including parkways. its a cargo van with rear and side door glass. but its 100% a cargo van, even has a ladder rack on top. i'm plated in CT and registered as a passenger van on regular plates, no commercial or combo. i havent had a problem, but it doeesnt mean you wont.

most of the cargo vans in the area have small port hole windows that make them parkway legal. it could be an option for you to consider.

also if you plan on the street parking, you will be ok with any van you choose as long as you keep a low profile, it should look more like a work van than a rv. stealth and blending in will be key for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909

Problem is, in NYC, any firearm in the city limits gives a 1 year slammer visit, so a sign like that could be probable cause for stop-and-searches, same as the "protected by Smith & Wesson" stickers.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #20

The most stealthy van choice for a very extended stay in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Problem is, in NYC, any firearm in the city limits gives a 1 year slammer visit, so a sign like that could be probable cause for stop-and-searches, same as the "protected by Smith & Wesson" stickers.
While it doesn't give the police probable cause for a search, it'll definitely raise eyebrows and likely some additional questions if stopped for one reason or another. Those stickers aren't even enough (legally) to justify a stop by the police.

And the mandatory year in the slammer for carrying illegally is just hype. With good behavior, you'll be out in 6 months. (Just ask Bernie Goetz!) ;-)
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote