Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #21

Re: The most stealthy van choice for a very extended stay in

Been meaning to post these for a while on this thread. First shot is a buy in a Roadtrek on Wesy 11th Street which, unfortunately, has become a very chic and expensive place to live, not at all like the West Village when I was a kid. The point is, though, that even on this block, this guy was living in his vehicle for about 10 days. He did the same thing last year, which leads me to believe he was visiting someone he knows. He would move it across the street every other day or so, according to the parking rules. Aside from that, though, he was idling his diesel when he needed heat, buttoning up the windows at night with his foil reflectors, and even elevating his antenna. I was impressed with how quiet that Benz diesel is when idling.

These two guys are a different story. They usuallly park separately, for whatever reason, but one of them was fixing his tire and they ended up next to each other. I think they attracted more attention this way, so they have been on different blocks since then. These two have been in the neighborhood for a few years, incredibly enough. They are about ten blocks south, which is just a tad less residential - used to be industrial, but those days are gone - and they are full-timers. The guy in the tan high top is a fairly normal-seeming guy. The guy in the red van, though, is a bit of a hoarder. Actually, forget the "bit" part. His van is jammed with stuff to the gills, including the drivers seat, and he has to empty it out every time he moves it. He lives in there with a couple of large dogs. Not a setup I'd like to emulate. If I were visiting NYC, though, I'd probably park down here, on either Washington or Greenwich Streets between Christopher and Houston.

Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG   photo.JPG   photo2.JPG  

Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Site Team

I'm amazed. I didn't think the city would allow it. Wonder what they do for water? One advantage. During the blackout after Sandy it wouldn't have affected them as much since they're used to roughin' it.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #23

Last week I read the book "Walden on Wheels," about a college grad student who (stealthily) lived in his van on campus while getting his grad degree at Duke. Interesting look into fulltime urban "boondocking."

http://www.kenilgunas.com/p/the-book-wa ... heels.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #24

I think you can get away with it because it's a bit of a rarity. If it became a big problem, I'm sure the NYPD would take note and do something. Those two guys park on relatively uninhabited streets. The other guy, in the Roadtrek, was a different matter, but he has done it two years in a row now with no apparent consequences. There are a few people on the east side in vans, as well, but it's not a huge population. The local cops must definitely see them, no doubt, as one of these streets is a notorious trap for them to ticket taxi drivers.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #25

I wish cities and towns would be more tolerant of van dwellers. At least show them the respect they give the truly homeless . If the van dwellers start making messes then crack down on abusers.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
At least show them the respect they give the truly homeless.
You must live in a very caring city. Around here, the homeless get less respect than stray dogs.
Unless by respect, you mean that we don't kick 'em as we step around them on the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
If the van dwellers start making messes then crack down on abusers.
In an ideal world, that would be the way to go but gov. doesn't have the resources to track down and prosecute minor quality-of-life crimes so they just pass a blanket prohibition against behavior that can lead to those crimes.

Cig butts all over the park = No Smoking in the Park

Beer bottles, cans, rowdy behavior = No Drinking in the Park

Dog owners don't clean up after their dogs = No Dogs in the Park

Just like in grade school - one or two bad actors ruin it for everybody.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
Site Team

Seems like the idea has caught on, to the point that people are writing about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/rv-mobile-homes-t ... A--;_ylv=3

Herb
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Site Team

From the article:
Quote:
“It looks like it would fit more in the mountains of West Virginia than on the Upper West Side,” Ron Hoffman told the Post when asked about a 19-foot, 1975 Dodge Sportsman parked on Central Park West.
Yeah, we hear a lot of that.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Seems like the idea has caught on, to the point that people are writing about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/rv-mobile-homes-t ... A--;_ylv=3

Herb
Well, the article and the video (interview) are pretty contradictory. In the article it says this rabbi guy has lived there more or less since 07, in the interview it says he has an apartment and no one is in the RV except a friend who sleeps there 'occasionally'. And how the heck did he get a regular plate for that hideous beast? Living in a van is cool IMO on a city street if you move it every day or 2 and don't let it look abandoned, but look at that thing! I don't necessarily agree with the people interviewed that say their neighborhood is going to turn in to a trailer park, but I think the rabbi should get that abandoned thing off the street, no matter how cool the stand up tub and spongebob comforter are. WTF?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote