Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

The start of my rear A/C repair is not going well...

OK just a warning this is somewhat of a rant.

Soooo, I took my old rear air conditioner(Danhard) hoses to a hose replacement shop so they could make a new pair of hoses for me. After waiting 3 weeks, this is what I picked up today:

Hose #1:

Hose #2:

Keep in mind that these hoses were laid out side by side and straight for these pictures.

They had my old hoses for reference and both of the new hoses are too short! Hose #1 is short by almost 6"! Not to mention that the original hose is 1/2" and the hose they made for me is 5/8", not a big difference, but why the difference at all?

Here is a pic of hose #1 run from the back of the van to the engine bay red line indicates where it needs to get to eventually:

Needless to say I am a little pissed, but this is also my first time having hoses made. Can the more experienced board members chime in on this? Is this normal, or did this shop just royally screw up something that should have been simple?

Well, I will continue to update this thread as things progress as I know there always seems to be lots of questions about rear A/C(Danhard/Starcool) so I will hopefully go from a non-working rear A/C to a working one in this thread, fingers crossed!!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #2

Dude, that sucks!
Have you returned them for a refund?
I've heard good things about this place...
On Site Hydraulic Hose Replacement Service - PIRTEK USA
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Did they hand you someone else's order by mistake? -- That's not even remotely right, and I have a hard time believing that a professional shop would make a mistake like that. I'd go talk to them right away.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Picked the hoses up today, will be headed back Wednesday morning to work on getting things fixed. Hopefully they fix it quickly.

Bbassa, it was a Pirtek shop!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Crap!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #6

Yeah, they screwed up. No reason they can't make them perfect.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

And the saga continues. Took the hoses back to the shop and explained that they were both about 4" shorter than the original hoses, and I ran the hoses out for the guy to compare. His exact response, "Well, I don't know what to tell you about that." Then he continues to stare at the hoses side by side as if the new hose is going to grow or something.

He doesn't have the hose lengths in stock so his only offer was to put a splice in the middle of the hoses. When I pick the hoses back up once he is done I am seriously expecting him to try to charge me for the splice connectors!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
...He doesn't have the hose lengths in stock so his only offer was to put a splice in the middle of the hoses. When I pick the hoses back up once he is done I am seriously expecting him to try to charge me for the splice connectors!
So the plan is to double the number of connections thereby doubling the chances for leaks?

I think you need to take this up the corporate chain.

Herb
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #9

Herb, that is my plan. I want the hose now, and don't feel like waiting the 3 weeks for new hose material to come in. However, I will be calling corporate and looking for a refund or some sort of credit/full replacement set of hoses for when these hack job ones start leaking. Luckily there is another Pirtek shop in Denver so I can cut ties with the jackass running the one near me.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
rnj

I have Starcool and drove my van today and had it on, was nice & cool while unloading recycle items so don't need any hoses but if I need in the future want to make sure I go to good location. I checked on the link that was posted and saw the Centennial location off Arapahoe Rd is the one closest to me.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote