Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

The van order

If I were to opt for a new SMB, should I get the van and bring it to SMB, or is it better to let them get it....

joerosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Garage
Re: The van order

If you have something you want to use as a trade, you would have to work that out with an outside dealer and supply SMB with the vehicle. I thought I could save some money by going through a site like carsdirect.com. On paper, it looked like it would have been about $1500 cheaper than what Sportsmobile was charging. After adding in the fee that Sportsmobile charges for "coordination with dealer and van check-in/inspection" plus the fact that no dealer I spoke to seemed capable of placing the order without something going wrong, I decided to let Sportsmobile place the order for me.
Steve in L.A.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

so, there isn't much money to be saved by getting the van yourself? I assume that you become the owner of the van immediately when Sportsmobile orders it...did you insure it right away? what would happen if something went drastically wrong with the conversion...I wonder if insurance would cover something like that....??
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerosh
so, there isn't much money to be saved by getting the van yourself? I assume that you become the owner of the van immediately when Sportsmobile orders it...did you insure it right away? what would happen if something went drastically wrong with the conversion...I wonder if insurance would cover something like that....??
No you don't take title to it until SMB delivers it to you. (At least that how it worked for me.) Up till then its theirs. Depending upon how much your conversion is and where you live you might want to consider what the yearly DMV costs will be. Assume (sorry) you live in California. If you own the van first you are paying your (extremely high) yearly fee based upon the cost of the bare van. If you purchase the finished vehicle from SMB, then your DMV fees are based upon the finished valuation. This could be a very significant cost. Of course if you are of the opinion that you should tell our wonderful State that you added $50-75k in new gizmos and would they please revalue your van, that would be your choice.

I'm not sure how replacement valuation insurance would work if you deliver the van to SMB.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I didn't put insurance until I took possession of the vehicle. I had to put money down to order and then paid for the van but because I would have had to insure it differently than a converted van, I waited until pickup date. I understand the concern if something were to happen to your vehicle in their possession but if I recall it’s theirs until it’s signed over to you. I thought about supplying the van to get cheaper DMV and insurance fees (on the van only) but found if I totaled it out, all I would get back is the value of an empty van plus I was told RV insurance was cheaper than standard insurance. The conversion cost more than the van. I could be wrong on that but I had a rough time insuring my vehicle (maybe bad luck???) and got a bunch of double talk. What I do know now is both my insurance and DMV are high. Maybe someone else has found a better solution that I missed

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

When we bought our van we the title didn't get title until we took possession from Sporstsmobile.

One other point to consider is that if you buy the van you warranty starts ticking from the day you take possession which means the clock is running during the conversion process. If Sportsmobile orders the van your warranty does not start until you take possession from them. When we ordered ours this was a concern because there was a 6 month backlog at SMB West. With the current state of the economy this may not be as much of a concern now.

Happy Trails
John
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. For those of you in California, what is this annual DMV that you mentioned? I don't think I would have to worry about that in Florida, but I'm not sure since I don't know what it is. Is it just an annual tax on an RV or something? is it on any vehicle? On my car all I pay annually is the registration fee (like $40), is it different for a rig like this?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

$40??? My DMV fees only were $815.00 this year and it was supposed to be more so I felt happily screwed! (edit-based on purchase price which slowly lowers each year unless the idiots running the state ask for more )

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #9

is it like that for just a regular car also?? Man, things looked so good in 1849...what the hell happened??!!??
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #10

Off topic BUT
here in Califonia, i pay $1,600 in property tax FOR MY LEASED OFFICE!!
i have talked to the owner of my office bldg, he pays prop tax up the yazoo also
BUT
it was soo cold today i even had to roll up my windows on the way to work
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote