Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #1

They go quick. Typical?

Hey, folks, we're long time fans of SMB's and had one ordered back in 2006. Unfortunately, sometimes life happens and we had to back out. We're back in the hunt for one and came across this unit over the weekend. We spoke to the dealer and were told they took it in last Thursday. As we're heading out this weekend for an extended trip, we thought we'd take until we got back to think about and make an offer when next Tuesday. While doing some research today I went to the dealer's website and the van was gone. I reached out to the dealer and it sold today.

Is this typical with used SMB's? This was a particularly low mileage Ford V10 RB-50 with a clean Carfax.

https://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/d/20...?lang=es&cc=mx

kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #2

Curious what the asking price was??
SMB OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #3

Dealer said they were "Entertaining offers" between $26K and $31K.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team

The answer to your question is yes. Sportsmobiles sell very quickly. If you see one you like, you should act quickly.

When we bought our Sportsmobile in 2009 I told the seller on the phone we would buy it if everything was as advertised. I asked him to hold it for us until we got there (San Diego area) the following morning. When we arrived he told me there was a guy already in the air flying in from Seattle to buy it if we didn't. He also said a guy in Texas was waiting for a call from him if neither one of us bought it. Obviously, we bought the van.

I'm assuming stories like this are still true. My van sits out in front of my home. I have had three people living in my neighborhood ask for "first right of refusal" if I ever decide to sell it.

Interestingly, I looked at the same Craigslist ad for the Sportsmobile in Fallon, Nevada, and thought about buying it myself. I even asked my wife if she wanted it. It looked exactly like our SMB before I lifted it and added all sorts of "manly" equipment on it. I thought she might want to go back to one that was easier for her to drive. If she had said yes, I might have been the one to buy it since I saw the ad just a few minutes after it came out.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

Wow, that's good information. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #6

Yes, typical, especially for a V10 RB50. You need cash in hand and to be ready to buy.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #7

Garage
These arent just your average everyday sports cars, these are vans...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
These arent just your average everyday sports cars, these are vans...
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #9

Garage
I contacted the dealer with some questions about that rig shortly after it listed too. He was just starting to get back to interested parties....and the main question of course was "how much $$$?"

Found it interesting that he didn't have a price. When we spoke, which was early Friday morning, he said only that they had "done their homework" and that they figured it's value was somewhere betweeen $31k and $43k, based on current comparable listings.

It became somewhat clear that (of course) they would try to get the highest price they could get for it....but that, at the same time, they (being a dealer) didn't want to "sit on it" or hold out very long in hopes of getting the ultimate top dollar. They'd taken it in trade....and wanted to sell it fairly swiftly and turn a profit.

It was a tempting van for sure!!! Sorry you didn't land it. If it sold for $31k like you mentioned was his high side of offers, that seems to have been a solid deal.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Yes, they go ridiculously fast.

I called on that exact same van yesterday. When the guy told me what they were asking, my heart sank. I was thinking $50k. If they sold that thing between 26k and 31k, that buyer got a screamin' deal.

It's as much about being the first one to find the van as it is having cash in hand. I have the money, but I can't even get my foot in the door and make an offer, they're gone so fast.

It's not just the frustration of not being able to find a van but I'm also afraid the scarcity of vehicles is going to lead to an unwise or rash decision knowing there are five guys behind just champing at the bit to make an offer. So, I've begun to reconsider and am thinking about a slide in camper or doing a home built Transit, but, hell, it's hard to even get your hands on a Transit in my area.

In almost three years, I've only made one offer and that was when I first began my search. The seller and I were about 2k to 3k apart. Knowing what I know now, I made a mistake by not stepping up because he was a good guy and it was a great deal. I just assumed there'd be plenty of SMBs in the sea.

Good luck.
bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote