Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Thinking about selling my SMB, so sad.

I've been thinking of selling mine lately, just don't use it much. Had it for 2 1/2yrs and only put about 8,000mi on it, about 55,000 on it now. The original owner miles were mostly traveling miles and not for camping. It is an 2004 EB-51, 5.4 2wd, see my gallery pics. Since I bought it I've added Bilstein shocks, American Racing aluminum wheels, a steering stabilizer, Michelin LTX/2 tires, battery, a new radio and brakes. I recently moved to FL from AZ and it has always been covered. At the time I bought it I was planning on retiring in June of this year but it looks like I may need to work a few more years so I don't see getting to use it much.
I'm terrible at making decisions, it doesn't cost me much to keep it, it is paid for but sitting around isn't good for it. Help!!! do I sell it?

ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Thinking about selling my SMB, so sad.

I would have thought that moving into a new area would cause you to use it a bit more. But I know how you feel; I have a bass boat that hasn't been on the water for 4 years, a Harley that hasn't run in 2 years, a 67 Camaro that hasn't seen sun since the 80's and my poor Impala SS needs a new battery from lack of use. Guess I'm a vehicle hoarder so I'm not one to say sell. If humidity is a factor storage is a solution. If you are planning to retire in a couple years, it will go by fast. On the other hand you might ask a higher price and might get lucky then buy another at a later date.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

We went through that when we sold our VW Westy nine years ago. Just weren't using it that much, just had a baby, etc. Every time I looked out the window I saw $10,000 sitting in our driveway. We sold it, waited a bit until times changed, and reinvested that money in our SMB. No regrets.

Sell it, bank the money and reinvest in another SMB when the time is right in the future. You'll likely get a newer van and won't have to carry all the costs on the current one.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

ehc0720,

I'm in a similar situation. I had a plan to try to retire but life, work and my ex-wife interrupted my best laid plans. After agonizing over the holidays I decided to sell my 06 Quigley which I really really like. I decided that if still wanted one after retirement that I would begin the quest anew and hunt one down. Very low use plus I have another van with a PH top tipped me over to sell it.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

Maybe you can start renting it out on AirBNB and see if you can generate some $$ out of it.

In the sailing world it's not that difficult to put a rarely used boat into a charter pool so others can use it and the owner can generate a little cash; maybe someone will start that for your van.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

Just get out and use it. No more excuses. You might die tomorrow. This guy needs tough love. I say this as mine hasn't gone anywhere fun in a while either. Damn I'm a hypocrite.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #7

Don't beat yourself up too much over what's in your stable that you don't drive. I'd be embarrassed to list what I don't drive enough. Still, I don't know your age but I think that plays a great deal into it. I'm 54 and obviously have fewer years ahead of me than behind me. And, the years I have left will likely involve more health problems which may prevent or restrict me from doing what I want.

Sure, not using your list of vehicles may seem like a poor choice but you obtained them for some reason in the past. My suggestions is to keep what you have and enjoy it, even if it is only occasionally, unless you replace it / them with something else that "moves" you. You never know when you may be unable to use or enjoy your toys.

Best of luck.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #8

I am looking to buy one.
Bikemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #9

I'm with Stan.
There are lots of state parks in Fl. that make good
weekend trips.
We just have to live day to day and make the
most of it.
Glen
b250ramvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy
I'm 54 and obviously have fewer years ahead of me than behind me. And, the years I have left will likely involve more health problems which may prevent or restrict me from doing what I want.

Sure, not using your list of vehicles may seem like a poor choice but you obtained them for some reason in the past. My suggestions is to keep what you have and enjoy it, even if it is only occasionally, unless you replace it / them with something else that "moves" you. You never know when you may be unable to use or enjoy your toys.
So true.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote