Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #21

The differentials, transmission, and third members (differentials) all have vents of some sort. Submerging almost always means water gets in.

Most New Process (NP) and Borg Warner (BW) transfer gear cases (T-case) have magnesium housings (Probably not Atlas cases, though). It turns out Magnesium is VERY reactive to salt. The OEMs paint the cases with clear coat, but it yellows and flakes off after 10yrs or so. I missed some salt that had caked onto a small nook on my BW T-case, that had collected during a wet year at a Bonneville Salt Flats race. The caked on salt ate a hole through the case in about a year.

You won't have the same problem, sea water vs 100% salt caked on, but just I'm trying to illustrate how salt doesn't play nicely with magnesium, you'll want to get any saltwater out of a mag t-case asap.

Just draining and refilling (any water will collect on the bottom, as oil floats) you should be good. I wouldn't wait very long to do so, as salt water starts to etch the mag right away.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
The differentials, transmission, and third members (differentials) all have vents of some sort. Submerging almost always means water gets in.

Most New Process (NP) and Borg Warner (BW) transfer gear cases (T-case) have magnesium housings (Probably not Atlas cases, though). It turns out Magnesium is VERY reactive to salt.
Thanks for this extra bit of information regarding magnesium. I've got a BW so I appreciate knowing this. Fortunately, I had added a breather kit on the diffs in December. Unfortunately, i didn't get around to extending the vents on the xfer case and trans.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #23

Hi All,
So after sharing with the insurance company the interior remove and replace ROM costs that I got from SMB Fresno the conversation quickly went from 'how much to repair' to 'what is it worth'. After answering a bunch of very standard RV questions as a path to vehicle value it became clear again that the unique features of our SMBs may not get accounted for. So, I'm hoping some of you wouldn't mind offering your opinion of pre-flood market value to assist me in my next conversation? I asked the same of SMB Fresno, they were helpful with 3-4 recent sales but the exact equipment, add-ons, etc is unknown.

Stats:
2002 Ford E350 Super Duty 7.3L Powerstroke
Sportsmobile RB-50 w/ manual penthouse
Quigley 4x4 conversion, Dana60 front & rear, Borg Warner transfer case
217,xxx miles
CA registered, second owner

Stuff:
Aluminess Ladder, new
Aluminess Nerf Bars, new
Aluminess Rear Bumper with large storage box swing arm, spare tire swing arm, two bike rails, 2.5 gallon Rotopax w/ locking mount, Hella rear lights, locking bumper storage box, new
Road Armor steel front bumper with Hella fog lights
Fiamma F45s awning, new
12000# Warn winch, front mount
Class IV Draw-Tite Hitch, new
Trailer brake controller
Agile RIP added in June ’18 with front springs and shocks, steering stabilizer, rear shocks and custom tuned/built leafs
Espar Airtronic diesel fired cabin heater
Espar Hydronic diesel fired water heater with 4 gallon Isotemp heat exchanger
16.5 fresh water holding tank with Sureflow pump and under sink filtration
ARB airlockers front & rear, ARB compressor with hose kit
Cover King seat covers with molle pockets, new
Atwood built in propane stove
On board 26 pound propane tank
Engel AC/DC built in 2 CF refrigerator, new
Wired for CB radio, includes roof top antennae
Cooper AT/3 XLT 285/75R16 tires on custom steel wheels, new
New Lifeline GPL-4DL house battery, 210 amp hour deep cycle plus Bluesea ML-ACR auto charging relay
Long range diesel cell 46 gallons
Ford factory auxiliary idle control module with rear PTO
Solar ready with original SMB equipment
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Mag-Hytec transmission pan
Analog fuel pressure, coolant temp, transmission temp, and EGT gauges by Autometer plus ScangaugeII
Digital int/ext air temp gauge in pillar pod
DieselSite coolant filter
Mishimoto fan assist trans cooler with Magnefine filter
Line-X rocker panels
Hood vents
Vehicle security alarm
Retrofitted dual glass side mirrors
Headlight and taillight swaps
Thule track system on Pop-Top
Hi-Lift Jack
Van cover

Maintenance:
Last oil at 214,000
Fuel filter at 206,300, in tank filter removed, foot replaced, added exterior RiffRaff inline fuel filter, hutch mod
Complete coolant flush at 203,800
Trans & transfer case fluids replaced at 204,500
Diff fluids replaced at 208,100
Diff seals, ARB o-rings replaced July ‘18
All service records, manuals, and original SMB binder
“All good” report card from SMB in 2017
Good condition as of Sunday evening...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #24

Very sorry to hear about this. I am glad it wasn't a total loss.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #25

So you’ll need to track down listings for comparable vans.. craigslist, here, SMB website, whereever. Insurance co will determine value by pointing out three or so listings. But they’ll pick 2WD gas motor SMBs going for $30,000. You need to find the comparable ones, and point out the differences. Good luck, it can be a painful project!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #26

Garage
As a State Farm customer, I’ll be following to see how they handle your claim. Also, my WAG on value is between 70k to 80k...
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
So you’ll need to track down listings for comparable vans.. craigslist, here, SMB website, whereever. Insurance co will determine value by pointing out three or so listings. But they’ll pick 2WD gas motor SMBs going for $30,000. You need to find the comparable ones, and point out the differences. Good luck, it can be a painful project!
Do your homework, print/save listings incase they disappear from the web.

Went through this with my stolen XR650R that was plated in CA. Don't be afraid to write them a check for deductible and make them find you a replacement.

I got a 25% bump in value that way
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #28

This is sort of a reminder to anyone insuring a "specialty" vehicle to really go over the policy with your insurer and make sure you'll be covered if something happens. The same goes for getting and comparing quotes.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #29

Garage
You could get the vehicle appraised. Most of the appraisal people can do a pre loss value for you. I had an appraisal on file with my insurance agent just for reference if something did happen like this.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
This is sort of a reminder to anyone insuring a "specialty" vehicle to really go over the policy with your insurer and make sure you'll be covered if something happens. The same goes for getting and comparing quotes.
This is by far some great info about insurance. I've seen too many who were under insured but didn't know or find out until filing a claim was necessary. Please don't take the average insurance agent as knowing their industry as well as they claim. With specialized vehicles like SMB's its necessary and prudent to deal with an agent AND carrier who frequently insures and pays out on claims associate with incidents like Wire89's ordeal.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote