Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #31

Your best bet is providing them as many good comps (comparable examples) as possible. Use the SMB classified websites, since they tend to be priced in favor of the sellers.

They owe you essentially a like replacement. Diminished value won't cover that on an SMB, since camper vans don't follow regular depreciation rates.

Adjusters are very familiar with, and probably prefer, comps vs trying to depreciate every item ever added to a van. State Farm, at least in Oregon, generally is very fair vehicle owners. Having dealt with just about every insurance company on the recovery-side, I switched to them.

Of course, you will have the option of a buy-back, but I suspect the potential for future consequential damage is high, unless you have to time to pull every electrical connector apart for solvent cleaning, and probably will need to strip the interior and replace the subfloor too. There's surely moisture trapped in there.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #32

I can only offer the words to echo other vanaddicts: My sympathy, and best wishes with the insurance companies. Salt water is poison to electrical systems, either now or later... when you least expect it. Got flooded in hurricane Sandy and it took me (and others) a year to replace everything. "Bummer dude." Good luck. Coastal flooding? More is coming.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #33

That is a bummer, especially when you are being careful and doing everything right.

As far as the original issue that caused it to die, you may want to check the Fuel Pump Driver Module on the driver’s side rear frame rail. I had an issue with mine that would cause the engine to quit very rarely and unexpectedly, usually after a long drive when coming to a stop luckily never while on the highway. But sounds similar, it could have dipped into the water and shorted if the seal broke down. No codes on a regular code reader, needed the Ford reader at the dealer. Was a bugger to figure out since it was so random. Mine’s an ‘11 E-350.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #34

Very sorry about your situation with your SMB. I would like to mention that there is a product called Saltaway that is sold in marine stores that releases salt adherence to metal so it will rinse off. I use it after taking my aluminum boat and galvanized trailer in salt water.
I have experimented only applying to a test area and it definitely left a clean surface. It may help to apply then rinse your van with fresh water. Hope a good outcome is in store for you
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #35

I can't offer any advise, I can only say I am so sorry to hear about this tragic event.

I wish you the best.

WRK VAN
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #36

G~

You know it kills me to see you have to go through this.

Looks like you are getting a lot of great feedback and advice.

Does anyone else have an "agreed value" on their policy? I know with Progressive, they talked me through it and claim that the "agreed value" line item covers the loss of the van at that value. I think I upped the value by $5K to cover any sort of misc expenses I might get hit with should something catastrophic happen to the van.

Maybe someone else can speak to the validity of an agreed value.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #37

I have a stated value policy with State Farm here in CA. When I gave them my recieps and some Craigslist and SMB comps they put the stated value at &75k.
I have a fairly simple 2003 4x4 (IFS) V10, Colorado Camper Van high top, Aluminess front, rear, and ladder, house batteries, Inverter, etc. My interior is fairly plain with a platform bed and standard bench seats.
Hope this helps.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
I have a stated value policy with State Farm here in CA. .
As I mentioned before, my agent told me that State Farm does not write stated value policy's. Perhaps it's different in other states, but I think I'll try again.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #39

Seven business days later and all was settled. Punchline: They called 'total loss' and I opted for buyback.

My insurance agent, after listening to me gripe every year about rising rates and not making a claim in 30 years, has always told me that 'if anything ever does happen, State Farm will be there'. Despite my general impatience and the time it took me to get things sorted (phone calls, receipts, estimates, research, etc), I have to say that they indeed played fair and swift. They did question a couple of times why it was in the ocean, though never once even hinted that this type of flood would not be covered, or that an off-road accident would not be covered. They even reimbursed me for the $750 off-road tow. It did take a repeated effort to convince them that some things needed addressed as soon as possible to avoid further damage. I hired out a full exterior, engine, and undercarriage wash while we collected other estimates. They actually reimbursed that charge outside of the total loss settlement. At the recommendation of some in this thread I also took it upon myself to do what I could with my mechanic and stripping the inside of the van. I think the insurance company got to around 40k in repair estimates for what was known, the large majority of which was to remove, clean, and replace the interiors, before making the total loss call on their end, based on the likelihood of unknowns reaching the market value.

On value, it was a fair and detailed valuation. One odd note is that they chose to use one comp, an active member here, due to the 'unique nature of the loss vehicle'. And I wasn't able to sway them to consider additional comps that I had provided. However, they did line up the two vehicle side by side and itemized each feature, deducting value for things I did not have, and increasing value for improvements I made. In the end, out of pocket loss over the life of ownership, including regular maintenance, was only about $2,000. I was okay with that.

What I learned, and will do differently next time, as some here have suggested, is file an appraisal with the insurance company. What surprised me about the process with State Farm is no one came out to see the vehicle. Everything was done digitally via a portal, and evaluated with photos. What kind of annoyed me with was the number of department handoffs, first was a 'make the claim' department, then a 'let's evaluate the claim' department, then a 'handle the claim' department who I spoke to the most, and last a 'total loss' team department which ended up being conversations with three different team members.

The buyback was a no-brainer decision of $5000 so I felt I had to give it a go at least. We'll see how things progress, or decline, with the attention it's received so far. After really getting into it, things did not look terrible, however, the first post-float surprise is now a crapped out starter....

Thanks again for all the help and support here, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:56 AM   #40

Garage
Good to hear it worked out for you. Lot of prudent information in this Thread, most importantly your suggestion (along with several other members) to "file an appraisal with the insurance company".
Thanks for the follow up.