Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Are you focusing on a 4x4? If not, this one might fit your criteria (although it seems to be getting a lot of interest already) - at this price you have some financial opportunity for remodeling/upgrades. Pull the two tall cabinets from behind the drivers seat, and remove the one cabinet next to barn doors which I believe would leave room for two forward facing seats. And, still have money left for other stuff like a mild lift & upgraded wheels & tires.
Just a thought...
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...e-23191-2.html
Sorry yes. 4X4 is a requirement. I need something fairly plug and play for my family size. I run a company, coach a competitive girls basketball team and try to be a husband when time allows. HA! I just dont have the time right now to build one out if that makes sense. Every time I find a van that I could convert to 4x4 or reconfigure the interior a bit to fit our family needs, I realize I might as well just start from scratch and build new camper van for the money. I do look a lot at the 2 wheel drive vans. This van I am looking at gives me a quick and easy entrance into a camper van. I know I might have some maintenance issues over the next few years. Who knows, it looks to be in good shape. Hopefully the inspection goes well. I will have to work on the price, as it needs heat and a few other things.

Colorado Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Team

One's like this are out there (this particular one is sold), but would something like this better meet your needs?

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-22039.html

Herb
Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #13

If your kids are big (as in tall), I would consider a 50 (Westfalia) style layout. The dinettes that sit cross wise (benches running parallel to the travel direction) do not offer much legroom. I have a van in the exact layout as the original one you posted and you can only really sit 3 people at the dinette. Also, the dinette as a bed is small (48x72). If one of your kids is a competitive basketball player (meaning tall) they will not be pleased sleeping 'downstairs". I have slept on the dinette bed alone and it was just OK. I am 5'10.

Just my observations.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #14

However, when you swivel the seats to create a card playing area, it is really nice to have the layout of the one you posted originally.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Garage
Since you've been actively searching for quite some time and have a good idea of whats out there, you're obviously excited about this one - I say pursue it!
I would let Seller know you're aware its been on the market for quite some time when negotiating, may offer a little leverage on price.
Good luck with your inspection!
Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #16

“50” layouts only have one three-point belt on the bench, so aren’t really ideal for long trips with more than three people IMO.

My SMB is an EB10 layout, with the dinette in the rear similar to the one you are looking at. We really like the layout, and for us the bed works great (it has the wall insets and we’re 5’8” and 5’2”). Plenty of room upstairs for our son, and we added a third captain chair by removing the sink cabinet, which we’ve never really missed.

If the Chicago one crosses off most of your wanted list, then I say go for it! As you said, it’s gets you into a van and lets you test what works and doesn’t for you.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #17

I agree, if it checks most of your boxes and its for sale, you should buy it. There are good deals to be had, but they are rare. You tend to either find a good deal OR what you want, rarely both. I think the price is a bit high, but most 4x4 full build out vans go in the mid $30k range.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

And what rust are you talking about? I see just about none, and certainly nothing that would remotely concern me.
That’s Cause you live in Philly LOL

There are some rust issues that need to be address maybe not if you live in the mid west but here in Colorado that’s considered rust. It’s not rot but it needs to be addressed...

On top of the fact it has square control arms which also need to be replaced to the more robust round arms. Probably replace all the shocks too while your at it.

With what I see on the under carriage & steering damper I’d say nope walk away. Yes this is considered no rust in Some states but out here it needs some prevention.

Like I has said directly to Colorado camper before in an email if it floats your boat go for it but pay about 10-12k less because of what will needs to be done down the line & in my mind right away.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #19

I believe it makes a world of difference when you buy a van from a van enthusiast than a dealer. Just my 2 cents
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Thoughts on purchasing this SMB as my first??

I like that one you’re looking at out in IL, I’d say if you can get things inspected and it’s mechanically sound, go for it! Just try to negotiate the price down a bit, but don’t think there’s a chance they’d accept $28K, I’d say walk if they don’t take $32K but it really depends on how much you want it and are willing to spend, it sounds like it checks all the boxes for you.
From what I see in the photos, that’s all undercarriage surface rust, nothing I’d worry about, there doesn’t seem to be any body rust or pitting.
As far as getting into the Quigley 4X4 system, there’s a few things.
You’ll want to address replacing those control arms with the updated round ones. If you aren’t aware, the square tubes had issues with cracking and a service bulletin was issued, it should have been a recall, but somehow they managed to skate that one. Anyway, Quigley has upgraded round bars available. There are other options as well, I have a set of adjustable arms that Derek made at CCV, Boulder offroad can fab up a longer fixed length set. Either gives you the room to fit larger tires by sneaking the axle forward for better clearance, but it also opens up a whole can-o-worms as you’ll need to address track bar clearance on the diff.
I’d also replace the ball joints, upper and lower, tie rod and last but definitely not least, as many here will attest, get the RIP kit from Agile offroad! This kit gives you new progressive rate coil front springs and custom valved Fox shocks on each corner, get the Fox damper while you’re at it, this kit will transform the way the Quigley handles and drives. You may also want to upgrade your rear leaf springs to a full pack and eliminate the blocks. There’s certainly Deaver, but for something local, less $ and shorter wait time, Alcan spring in Denver has come highly recommended.
Good luck! And as it’s been said before, there’s no shortage of people here willing to help you spend your money!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote