Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Tire carriers

Hello from Hiouchi Ca. Does anyone have a "pre-aluminess" tire carrier? The old square tube type. Are they stronger then the Aluminess design?? I am looking for the strongest option in production? I never has smart enough to buy something that I can make better and cheaper. Thanks to LA city schools! We had the best metal shops in the country and teachers! 40 yrs ago....... Will the old style tire carrier hold up to wash board roads? If you go to Baja or any southwestern desert you know what i'am talking about! Even with low tire pressure your interior tries to release itself from the vehicle!! Thank god for 3M 5200 marine adhesive.........Se Ya Later up the trail!!!

1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

Re: Tire carriers

Renuel?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

I have a Reunel square-tube carrier.

The hinge and latch are not as nice as Aluminess. My latch sheared off and now I use a cam-strap to keep it closed. Before it broke the latch wallowed out the arm and the clattered a bunch. I plan on upgrading to some nice cam-lever latches, if I ever find some time this summer.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

Do you mean a swing arm style or the bolt-to-the-door style? If you mean the latter I have 2, both homemade using the SMB mounting holes and the original rusty one as a template. I haven't road, err, off-road tested them yet but I will be soon. I'll report back if they fall off.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Do you mean a swing arm style or the bolt-to-the-door style? If you mean the latter I have 2, both homemade using the SMB mounting holes and the original rusty one as a template. I haven't road, err, off-road tested them yet but I will be soon. I'll report back if they fall off.

Wow, I had forgoten about the SMBforum stickers like you have on your rear window. That's a flashback in time.

Herb
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

Scotty, I like the idea of spending money where it counts.. On a yacht or a "boat" I like Big Anchors on my van I lwant the strongest tire carrier when cruising down a washboard road for hours I know I have a spair tire ,out in the middle of NoF__KWhere...100 miles from pavment. If I have to buy a $800 RUNEL or Aluminess I will But if I make one and it fails?? I can kick my own ass. I need to weight one of my worn out Toyos AT 285 75 16 and design a bullit proof tire carrier? That space where the tire is now would be nice for storage or tankage? Maybe 40gal "Tequila Tank" ??? Na they would smell it........its kinda there national drink........Adios Guvachos
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Lol. I here ya. Mines still there so far!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Wow, I had forgoten about the SMBforum stickers like you have on your rear window. That's a flashback in time.

Herb
Yeah, they were a door prize from Jage when I stayed in his driveway once. I like em. I have one more but don't want to waste it so I'm waiting on the right spot.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #9

Recently had a friend lose his (on a jeep, not a van) with a setup even beefier than aluminess.

Some fab shops will sell you super bearings to mount a swing on. But figure tire and wheel at 75lbs at least, and then weight of frame.

I keep looking at designs deciding what to build, and finally got convinced by others that if I really wanted the strongest I should go for a racer-type carrier that drops backwards and down, not a swingarm. Guys make the pivot out of tubing, and it can sit pretty close into the back. And sometimes be integrated into the bumper.

The problem, as I see it, is first, how to secure it from flopping down, and second, the fact that it's pretty heavy to drop over and then put back up. Some RV vans have these jack type arrangement that can lift one, but I don't think they make them now.

If I could forego opening the rear doors, or was willing to put the tire back a bit further so I could at least crack the rear a bit, I'd just go with a trailer hitch mount and probably some DIY additional support to the bumper to prevent clanging around.

Right now I have room inside the van for a spare, so I'm OK. But love to see what you come up with.

Rob
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

Rear camera and check it often. Or, put a pin switch and an alarm on it so if the tire falls it alerts you. I know, it's a stretch.