Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Garage
Tire leaking like magic

Got back from a trip mainly driving on gravel roads and found my back right tire was low. The book says it should be 62-65lb and it was down to 20. I aired it up and took the rig to Big-O where I sat for 2 1/2 hours to be told they could not find a leak. The guy said he cleaned the rim and tested it in water under pressure and saw no bubbles. I assume he got the right tire, pretty sure he did. I got out of there without a charge but pretty pissed. I let the tire sit a day and a half and it's now down to 20 pounds again.

Any thoughts? I will be taking it to another place to check it out-again.

The tire is Toyo Open Country A/T (All Terrain) 285/75R16LT 122Q.

Thanks as always,
Scott

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #2

Did they check the valve?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
X2... Hopefully they checked the valve and valve stem.
I had a similar situation and when they looked closer found a fine crack in the rim. It was an American Eagle rim that came with the van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I had a similar situation and when they looked closer found a fine crack in the rim. It was an American Eagle rim that came with the van.
Was the wheel aluminum?

Makalu1, are your wheels Al? They are lighter, but more expensive, subject to stress fractures, and the bead seal wears faster. You can get better, and even more expensive ones with scandium added to the alloy. This is a big issue trucking lines look at when figuring what's best for their bottom line.

Some aircraft and rocket fuselages now use aluminum-lithium alloys with possibly a trace of copper and zirconium too. This is lighter, stronger, and less stress-fracture prone, but even more expensive. I'm not sure if it can be cast as a wheel; I believe it can only be welded with friction-stir welding.

Anyway, if the wheel is aluminum a micro-fracture could be possible.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

Don't sweat it, just check your tire frequently for awhile and see if it comes back.

I've had this happen twice in the last year, on different cars. I recently got tires put on my car and drove it for a week or two, no problem. Then one day after sitting in the garage for a weekend it was down to about 20. I was pissed, thinking one of my new tires got a screw in it or something but I could find nothing. I aired it back up and have check it every couple days for the last month. It's dead on.

This exact thing happened to my wife's car a year or so ago.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

My mystery leak on a rear tire was indeed caused by a cracked aluminum rim.

Also, if you have rubber valve stems, they can burp air when pushed on. I had a tire lose air in the Fiesta from parking the valve stem against a curb.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My mystery leak on a rear tire was indeed caused by a cracked aluminum rim.

Also, if you have rubber valve stems, they can burp air when pushed on. I had a tire lose air in the Fiesta from parking the valve stem against a curb.
I think that's what happened in both cases on mine. Has to be.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks for your input everyone. So having sworn at and sworn off Big-O, I found another local place, Victor's Tires. What do you know, they found a hole and repaired it. I suspect the Big-O folks inspected the wrong tire. Another plus for Victor's is that they've got a Mexican restaurant attached which we returned to this eve and the food was quite good. The two sides of the business have a common entrance and it's kind of funny to smell rubber one second and tamales the next.
Again, thanks for the input, I always learn more useful info here.
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #9

I love the smell of rubber tacos in the morning.🤣
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #10

I had one of these on an ebay OEM ford rim. Two (three?) _small_ rounds of slime put an end to that. It now holds 70 PSI for months at a time.

Edit: Mine was leaking at the valve stem if you touched it. A new valve stem didn't solve it. Slime did.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote