Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Re: Tire Recommendations

Hi Folks,
I want to thank all who responded to my request for information about tires and tire pressures on the Forum. I think I’ll start by lowering the tire pressure front and rear a bit and see what effect that has. It probably would be a good thing to get the loaded van weighed too. I’m not sure how to go about getting it weighed so if any of you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them. Is it acceptable to just drive into a truck scale on the interstate to weigh the van? If so, what is the fee and do they take credit cards or is it cash only? As you can tell, I know nothing about weighing vehicles and would appreciate any advice folks can provide.
Thanks…
Jeff

JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Check out your local waste disposal site, they usually have a drive on scale, see if they would be willing to help you out.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

I would try REF's idea first, if you are near a landfill or the like they will probably weigh you for free, or maybe a buck or two. There will be a big scale that you drive over at the gate going in and out. As long as they aren't busy they probably won't mind. As for a truck stop, that's pretty easy too but I think it's +/- $10. There is usually a call box on the scale, just drive on and go up to the box. Or you could just ask what their policy is at the front desk and they will tell you how to go about it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the great suggestions about how to get our SMB weighed. Do any of you have experience weighing a vehicle at a CAT (Certified Automated Truck) scale? It looks like there is a CAT scale at a Pilot truck stop in Barstow and we pass through Barstow from time-to-time. Since there are three segments to the scale, it looks like we could just park on the front most segment where the steering axle of the truck tractor would stop. Best… Jeff
Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
Site Team

I found that our local scale will charge one rate for an official weighing, and a lower rate for your info scribbled on a piece of paper. Not like it's a lot either way, but a few bucks is a few bucks.

Herb
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #16

Thats what I do. I drive over to the transfer station and get on the scale it has a digital display right in front so you can verify the weight ... then before the gal can hand me a card, I yell out loud... "OH shoot, I forgot to bring my trash, I'll have to come back later, sorry about that"

I did that twice in one day when I weighted my van before and after fueling up. I wanted to see what 100 gallons of diesel weighted. I pulled up then went to the fuel station and back in 10 minutes. The second time I came through she said, wow in less than 10 minutes you loaded a full ton of trash back there?... To which I yelled again. Oh shoot I forgot to bring my trash!... She laughed and said I can come by anytime to get a quick free reading without making fake excuses.
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #17

Just weighed Sherman at a 3 axle truck scale. Centered him between the first and second scale pads. 9750lbs loaded
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPaddle
Thats what I do. I drive over to the transfer station and get on the scale it has a digital display right in front so you can verify the weight ... then before the gal can hand me a card, I yell out loud... "OH shoot, I forgot to bring my trash, I'll have to come back later, sorry about that"

I did that twice in one day when I weighted my van before and after fueling up. I wanted to see what 100 gallons of diesel weighted. I pulled up then went to the fuel station and back in 10 minutes. The second time I came through she said, wow in less than 10 minutes you loaded a full ton of trash back there?... To which I yelled again. Oh shoot I forgot to bring my trash!... She laughed and said I can come by anytime to get a quick free reading without making fake excuses.
Classic, I'm sure you were the talk in the office but maybe just maybe they wanted to see your van again

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #19

I just ordered a set of the Discoverer ATP that were linked earlier in the thread. $495 for a set of 4 E-rated 245/75/16 tires is pretty good!

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

Hi Folks,
Following the recommendation of some of you regarding tire condition and age, we are replacing our 10 year old Michelin XPS RIB LT245/75R/16 LRE tires due to side-wall cracking with a fresh set of Michelin LTX MS2 LT 245/75R/16 LRE tires today. All good so far. During the alignment process, the shop called me to let me know there isn’t any way to properly align our 2006 Ford E250 2Wd without replacing the factory parts with adjustable ones. Apparently, the original Ford shims aren’t adjustable and therefore prevent proper alignment at this stage in the game. Their recommendation is to replace the original parts with new adjustable parts which will allow for proper alignment today and in the future. I’ve done a little on-line research and this seems like it might be accurate, however, I would have expected the original equipment to have lasted longer than 45,000 miles. Can anyone shed some light on our alignment situation? I’d be interested in learning if others of you have experienced similar alignment issues on a 2WD E250. Thanks in advance for any information any of you can provide.

Best…
Jeff & Janna