Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Tires-Non 4x4

I recently bought a 91 Ford based SMB. I'm nearly done making my little tweaks and now it's time to put tires on it.

The current tires were made in July 2003. Even though the tread looks excellent I would feel better with newer tires.

I've searched the forums and it looks like most of the discussion about tires has been around offroading. I would like some tires for just touring around. If I'm "offroad" it will probably be because I'm backing into a campsite Mostly, I want to drive on paved and gravel roads.

I spoke with Les Schwab and they suggested either Terramax HT tires or Toyo Open Country (which are a bit more then I want to spend but I would do it if it was really worth it.) About a $300 price difference between the two for a set of four.

Discount Tires suggested Geolanders. Don't have the price in front of me.

Anyone with suggestions pro or con on any tires? I'm really looking to get the best driving experience. As it is, there's a little wander in how it drives. My goal would be able to drive with one hand and hold my coffee in the other.

Size is 215/85/16

Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Re: Tires-Non 4x4

Rule of thumb is that tires should be replaced every 8 years or when tread is worn out...which every comes first.

We have been very happy Michelin LTX M/S. I replaced the first set at 85,000 miles at the 8 year point. Might of had another year of life left. The oem tires were General's (?) and lasted 35k miles.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Garage

I also like Michelin, because they ride smoothly, have good traction wet and dry, and I've never had a tire imbalance, crooked tread, or failure. My van has General on it now and they work OK.

Les Schwab sells Open Country in the PNW and I've always felt they were selling a basic tire at a premium price... they do have good service though.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

I had Michelin LTX A/T ON MY 1/2 ton truck and they had serious dry rotting after 2 years and 50,000 miles......the tread was falling off in chunks. They did give me a $600 credit on a new set of tires tho. I have heard the Michelin LTX M/S was a much better tire than the A/T.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

I'm a big fan of the Michelin LTX AT/2 tires. 50K miles and about 1/2 gone.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Top all terrain tires for drivability = Cooper AT3, Toyo ATII, & Michelin.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

We have Michelin LTX M/S our our E250 EB and they ride nice. Definitely not an off-road tire, but good all-around. Get the "E" load-rated version. This is a pretty standard tire for fleet vans and has a good record. My dad runs them on his heavily loaded E van (he's a contractor) and has been happy with them, too.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

I have Toyo Open Countrys and like them better than any tire I've ever had on a truck/van. They were brand new on the van when I bought it, so I don't know what was paid, but they are very smooth and quiet, and are great on a heavily loaded van.
It's hard to argue with Michelin LTX/MS if you want to spend the money. I wouldn't think the Toyos were as pricey as the Michelins are, but I've never priced them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Garage

might just be me, but 300 a corner seems expensive. Im shopping for all terrains right now and most the places Ive found what Im after (toyo at2's) are 200ish a pop. the cheapest places ive recently found were: www.onlinetires.com, www.treaddepot.com, and www.tiresdirect.net and the best deal ive found was actually on ebay. not for the cheapest price, but because of free shipping. ive had lots of friends buy from online tires all with positive feedback, but the other two i cant confirm service.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

I mail order most of my tires, which is a lot, especially lately. I don't worry so much about a tire problem or warranty, but it is getting harder to find people who will mount and balance mail ordered tires. Most people who can mount them sell tires too.
I would definitely find someone and get their mount and balance price before ordering.
It's typically $20 a tire in my neck of the woods these days.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote