Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #11

First i thought that a awning is nonsence ( it was on my rig when i bought it), but i started to love it. It is so nice to have something built up in one minute against sun and rain. We use it relativ often in our daily live.
Attached Thumbnails
Simbabwe0660.jpg   Simbabwe0657.jpg  

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #12

I have a Fiamma F45 on our 13 foot Scamp camper. It's pretty easy to deploy and pack, but we don't use it much. If it gets wet at camp you will have to deploy it at home until it dries out. Kindof a pain. The shade is great though.

I avoided an awning on my Jeep for years and finally purchased an AluCab Shadow Awning this year. Worth every penny. Very sturdy, awesome coverage, and very easy for one person to deploy and store....quickly. It also covers the rear of your rig (270º coverage). I plan to do one of two things with my van build:

1. Install the AluCab on one side, and the Fiamma on the other (over the sliding door). Or...

2. Install two AluCab awnings. One on each side (all four ends of the van will be covered when both are deployed). This option is interesting...but will be costly due to the size of the roof rack required and the twin awnings.

Still debating, but yeah, I will always have an awning from now on.
jacobconroy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Every time I see one of those AluCab Shadow Awning 270's (mostly on the internet, only seen one in person) I've thought that would be the way I would want to go. I just haven't been suffering enough to go through what it would take to fit one to the van. I thought I heard at one time member Sheriffdoug was going to install one. Was hoping to plagiarize his mounting system.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #14

My situation is a bit unusual (I think). I spend two years putting my Jeep JK "Overland" rig together and have decided that the setup and takedown time is just too much work with an RTT. I am also making payments on a pricey "offroad" adventure trailer with an RTT. There isn't enough space inside this Jeep for everything I'd like to have available. But, my AluCab awning is mounted to a Front Runner Slimline II rack on this Jeep.

Then I bought a van. I plan to install a Front Runner Slimline II rack. After that, the bracket issue is easy. Front Runner makes a lot of brackets. They do not, however, make any mounting brackets for a 1987 E350 Pathfinder van. Research shows that they have a small assortment of gutter brackets of different heights. I think I'll be able to work it out.

Aluminess racks do exist, but they seem to have moved on to the 1990s Ford vans. No love for the 1980s vans (though they are the same to early 90s). Gonna have to work out my own problems on this one. Give me a year or two, and I'll show you a wicked 1987 Pathfinder van.

Does saying that on the SMB forum make me evil?

All kidding aside. The AluCab awning is really awesome. One of the few things in my life that has been "worth the money".
jacobconroy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy75 View Post

Does saying that on the SMB forum make me evil?
Nope.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #16

I like the Fiamma that 1der shold me with my van but it only covers part of the side of the van. When I'm using my galley box, either at the rear or on the side, the Fiamma doesn't provide any cover. Like Shuttle Pilot I think a 270 awning would be the way to go but most are not long enough for a van.
Then I saw this one. Any thoughts (passenger side of course)?
270 degree awning US drivers side
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #17

I really like the concept of the 270 degree awnings. The coverage they provide is wonderful. I even bought a 6 ft Fiamma to mount across the back, but that was too wide.

When it comes to the pop top vans, the gutter is the only viable awning mounting location. I am concerned about the support needed to handle this type of awning. Perhaps another one or two brackets would provide enough mounting strength for the 270 deg awnings that use legs to alleviate the arm leverage.

One other consideration about the 270 awnings - can they be used in reduced coverage configurations where full deployment is not possible due to obstructions?

If someone in the SF Bay Area wants to experiment, let me know and let’s see if we can figure out a mounting solution.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
I keep my Fiamma only partially deployed quite often in rainy conditions when I'm sleeping. It handles gusty winds better and keeps a bit of a dry spot while stepping in and out of the van. The main thing I like about the Fiamma is that I can have it up in less than 30 seconds. Just crank it out, drop 2 legs, extend em and you're basically done. Still if I'm setting up a base camp and am predicting crappy weather, it's worth the time and hassle to set up a lean-to by the fire. At least if an ember burns a hole in the tarp it's only a 25 dollar loss and for me I actually enjoy sitting around the fire with friends while it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Img1411Fall 2006.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I really like the concept of the 270 degree awnings. The coverage they provide is wonderful. I even bought a 6 ft Fiamma to mount across the back, but that was too wide.

When it comes to the pop top vans, the gutter is the only viable awning mounting location. I am concerned about the support needed to handle this type of awning. Perhaps another one or two brackets would provide enough mounting strength for the 270 deg awnings that use legs to alleviate the arm leverage.

One other consideration about the 270 awnings - can they be used in reduced coverage configurations where full deployment is not possible due to obstructions?

If someone in the SF Bay Area wants to experiment, let me know and let’s see if we can figure out a mounting solution.
Two reasons I haven't gone down the road of trying to mount a 270 to the van is, one, I have zero experience with any type of awning, and two, I assume it is going to take some serious thought to mount with a pop top in a way strong enough for wash board roads.

I have been romancing the idea of a 270 awning for a wile now. Just not high on the list of projects. But, if it was already figured out as a bolt on solution with a Pehthouse top RB it might be sooner. Here is the gratuitous awning video from Andrew St Pierre White in Western Austrailia.

- Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Foxwing has a similar 270 degree awning that I considered for my teardrop, but I wasn't sure how well it would work for me, and I did not like all the poles and guylines that awnings like this need to be stable.

Foxwing Awning

Herb