Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #11

Re: To much DUST

In addition to the rear doors, I found I had a lot of dust coming in from the lower edge of the body/floor joint area. Inside the cabinets (RB50) there was lots of dust. I sealed the lower seam best I could with caulking and strips of Reflectix and that helped out but didn't stop it completely.

Brian

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #12

I was wondering why sportsmobile has not made an effort to fix this problem. They say it's a ford problem sure but the ending product is a sportsmobile and the last thing they should want are dust problems.Or maybe they should put in the owners guide when off road windows must be up and vent on or dust may occur.
dustinray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinray
I was wondering why sportsmobile has not made an effort to fix this problem. They say it's a ford problem sure but the ending product is a sportsmobile and the last thing they should want are dust problems.Or maybe they should put in the owners guide when off road windows must be up and vent on or dust may occur.
Sportsmobile is still working on keeping awnings from falling off!

Said with love
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #14

Take your taillights out. There are about half a dozen holes that "dust" directly into the interior. I covered all mine with aluminum tape.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4791
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #15

I think the body seam openings are intentional to let water drain. I've seen XL passenger vans hosed out, and I think hosing out cargo vans is common place.

As long as I keep the HVAC on at least the 2nd fan speed, and not set to MAX, I don't really get dust inside.

But then if you are eating somebody else's dust, you're pretty well screwed. I haven't taken the time to pull the front HVAC apart, but I would like to add a filter eventually.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #16

Has anyone found out where the intake for the AC is on our vans? I know there's no filter, but maybe one could be made up. Just can't find the fresh air intake....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage

I always thought it came in on the cowling at the base of the windshield???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I always thought it came in on the cowling at the base of the windshield???
I believe it is. I suspect the most likely place for a filter would be somewhere in the blend door housing on the pass side.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #19

After reading this thread and the one from 2008 that BroncoHauler referenced above
(http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...608&hilit=dust), it still sounds like the dust problem is not completely solved.

The two things I gleaned so far are 1) filling gaps at the side and rear barn doors with additional gasket material should help along with sealing any other holes and gaps as was reported and 2) positive pressure in the van should help. However, without filtering the air drawn it through the ventilation system, driving throught others' dust clouds may just bring in more dust. By the end of the thread there was talk of adding a filter to the inlet air stream, but no solutions were presented. I have verified with a Ford dealer that there is no filter for the ventilation system on the E350. However, I am going to my regular Ford dealer to get the windshield wipers fixed (undoubtedly a faulty wiper motor), and want to brainstorm with them possible solutions while they are in there as I understand the wiper motor is accessed through the cowling just in front of the windshield, and that also appears to be where ventilation air comes in. We are going to Alaska this summer and I want to be ready to combat that dust!

So has anyone gotten further toward finding a way to filter that air?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Site Team

If the problem is dust coming in along the doors, you guys should check out this thread on Ford-Trucks (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59374 ... he-ex.html). You remove the door seals from the vehicle, and thread through some nylon, latex or silicone tubing through the one cavity in the door seal, and re-install the same seals. It provides a lot more structure to the seal.

Here's a link to a video that's part of the above thread, and which explains the project fairly easily.

The thread and the video are for Super Duty's, so I would assume it would work for the E-series. I did the mod on all four passenger doors on my Excursion, and the rear doors as well. Definitely takes more effort to close the door, so hopefully that indicates a better seal.

Herb